Saturday, August 14, 2010

Sangria, check




After the hiking adventure my friend Andy came over to participate in an experiment. I had just seen him and a crew of folks the night before as we got together at Ruben James and then at Akes Place to celebrate his birthday early (which made rallying for an early start on the hike a bit of a challenge this morning). Tonight, Andy, being a good soul, volunteered to taste my first ever batch of sangria. I've been talking about trying to make it for the last year after falling in love with it last summer in Barcelona. So, like any self-respecting academic, I ran off several different versions of sangria recipes off the internet and decided which one looked like the best option - and this included sitting down at Uncommon Ground with my friend Cinse and creating a compromise/experimental version of one of the recipes (which I then adapted even further). Andy brought over a pizza, we put the final touches on the sangria preparation, and watched a series of Aqua Teen Hunger Force episodes while we discussed the pros and cons of this experiment. Andy's conclusion - this was a tremendous success, although maybe a little more citrus and a little less sugar, and I need to initially run the fruit juice through a sieve to reduce the pulp (which Cinse had warned me about, but I had forgotten). Since there are few layers of competence that I can't easily crawl beneath I considered this an overwhelming success.

4 comments:

KBL said...

Holy crap - kudos on the sangria and everything, but I want to hear more about that pizza. It looks awesome!

Gary Scudder said...

Yes, the sangria was pretty good. I had to get it together on Friday and let it marinate for the day and then throw in some ginger ale at the last minute. It ended up being a bottle of shiraz, a shot of blackberry brandy, a 1/4 cup of sugar (although it might have been closer to a 1/2), two oranges, one half lemon, and one lime - stick it in the fridge of a day - and then two cups of ginger ale right before serving. Now, the pizza I can't claim responsibility for. Andy whipped it up and brought it along. It was fantastic.

KBL said...

Yum!!! My garden this year has been a disaster. My tomatoes were riddled with some weird fungus and I waited too long to pick my pole beans...I got a lot of bush beans, though. It's been about 100 degrees here for the last three weeks, so I just gave up altogether in late July. I did manage to make some pesto from my potted basil AND a nice rub for a flat iron steak tonight, using my thyme. Maybe I should just stick to herbs, huh? And geraniums.

Gary Scudder said...

Apparently everybody (save me, of course) in Vermont is an ardent gardener. Every day someone is bringing mountains of fresh veggies to unload (you'd fit in perfectly here).