Monday, December 13, 2010

Biggest TV in Our Small World



On Saturday I made my way over to my friend Mike's condo to watch a basketball game. Now, anyone who knows me will testify to the fact that I normally wouldn't cross the street to watch a basketball game, which may seem strange since it's the only sport I played (and doubly troublesome because I am from Indiana, which makes me a heretic). It is made even stranger because it was a college basketball game and - again, as anyone who knows me can attest (it's one of my favorite rants) if I were czar of all sports I'd eliminate all college athletics above the club level because I think they are a cancer - thus it is even stranger that I went out of my way to watch a game. However, this was not just any game, and not simply because it was Wisconsin vs. Marquette, which I learned is a big rivalry game. This was the inaugural sporting event on Mike's new 52 inch TV that he bought off some kid for $50 (and I think the kid woke up with a horse's head in his bed). I caught the shuttle over to campus, worked out, did some grading in my office, and then caught a ride with one of my ex-students (that may be generous, because she described it as mooching a ride) and eventually made my way into the splendor - or really splendour, only the British spelling can do it justice - of Mike's magnificent new TV. It has now replaced the Taj Mahal in my list of the most awe-inspiring things I've seen with my own eyes, which is appropriate because the Taj could easily fit behind it. As always, Mike put out a good spread, so I was able to stuff my face, watch the game (which some team won) and enjoy an afternoon of convivial splendor (splendour). To wildly paraphrase Shakespeare, the other Gentlemen of Excellence who didn't make the event will think their manhood cheap (but will get a chance for a make-up on New Year's Day for college football).

1 comment:

KBL said...

You played basketball?