Thursday, August 8, 2013

Blues in the Green Mountains

For a professor who maintains a "culture of intimidation" (infamous administrative description) with his students, I do end up forming close and often long-term friendships with them.  I still swap emails with students, such as the excellent Kate and Lara from my Franklin College days, who I taught longer ago than any of us want to admit to.  I'm heading over to Andrew Smith's apartment this weekend for his first attempt at cooking chili (be afraid, be very afraid).  Last night I had the great pleasure of meeting my former student and good friend Ericka Bundy for the monthly blues night at On the Rise Bakery in Richmond.  Ericka has been in Austin, Texas for a year and is back in town for a few days visiting friends.  She's doing marvelously well in Austin, which makes me very happy.  Who knew she'd turn out so well?  I can remember drawing clocks on the chalkboard to explain to her the difference between Bundy-Time and regular time.  I had visited the On the Rise Bakery once before when my great friend Trish Siplon and I climbed Camel's Hump Mountain a few years ago, but had no idea that they hosted a monthly blues night.  Anyone can show up and play or sing, and there was some first rate talent on display.  While I knew that Ericka sang, I had no idea she had such a big voice and she wowed the crowd.  It was a great time, and I highly recommend that you make your way out to Richmond to check out the bakery.  Oh, and they have great coffee and food, in addition to the occasional killer blues night.

The On the Rise Bakery.  Who knew that it contained great blues music?  You head into Richmond and turn at the one stoplight and follow the signs for the famous Round Church.

A tight fit, but an enthusiastic crowd.

The excellent Ericka, who is obviously flourishing in Austin.

Unlike her performance in class, she was focused and right on time.

1 comment:

KBL said...

I'm not worthy!! Oddly I was just thinking yeterday - "I need to email Scudder". :)