Sunday, August 4, 2013

Caravanserai

I should be getting caught up on grading right now, but, as Fitzgerald warned us, I am being drawn back ceaselessly into the past.  Here are some pictures from trip to Yemen, which I still can't believe I made (and I would love to go back again).  I was fortunate enough to get a tour of a caravanserai, which is a sort of inn that was popular for centuries for travelling merchants.  They were especially important in areas such as the Indian Ocean where merchants were dealing with the changing monsoon wind patterns and thus might be stuck in one location for weeks if not months.  The caravanserai in Sana'a is in pretty bad shape, and is not even really open to the public.  My guide, provided by the nice Australian gentleman who rescued me when I managed to lock myself in my room (earlier post), talked our way inside.  In the end he wouldn't even accept any payment because he said he had too good of a time, and proposed that I could simply pay him next time.  I desperately hope I get the opportunity.  We're in the middle of another worldwide travel alert, and much of the buzz is related to events in Yemen, which is sad because it colors the perception of people around the world about the people of Yemen, who, as I've stated before, are the kindest I've ever met anywhere.

The formidable doors to the caravanserai.  Obviously a lot of valuable trade goods were protected behind these doors.

I think it was at this point where my guide (whose name I will look up in my notes and add to the posting) told me that the structures was still pretty sound, and that the only real problem was the occasional poisonous snake.

Apparently there are attempts to raise funds to fix up the caravanserai and turn it into a tourist location, but, sadly, they always fall through.

Pretty elaborate architecture, which reflects the former wealth and importance of Sana'a in the broader global trade network.

Some classic Arabic calligraphy.

Medieval plumbing.

My guide on the left and my Australian rescuer on the right.  Just two of the wonderfully friendly folks I met on the streets of Sana'a.

No comments: