Tuesday, April 5, 2016

On the Bus: Pemba Version

As you know, I don't normally post many pictures of myself, which is strange on a blog from a person who is so clearly immensely self-absorbed. That said, I do like this picture.  As my friends are wont to remind me, there is Scudder at Champlain (generally grouchy) and Scudder overseas (a much happier creature).  Here I look pretty content with life.  We're on a bus in Pemba on a particularly long ride along some increasingly bumpy roads.  It was my first trip to Pemba, and the students routinely identify it as their favorite part of the journey.  I would definitely go back, and Steve and I are already talking about carving off more time on Pemba on the second version of this trip.  It also made me think of how many different planes, train, buses, taxis, etc. I've ridden in over the years, none of them constructed with my body in mind.

My happy mood ended pretty dramatically about an hour later when, getting off the bus, I managed to throw my back out - and that was Monday, the very beginning of the trip.  Happily I was able to get it under control and it wasn't much of an issue the rest of the week.

No comments: