Saturday, September 2, 2017

Twin Peaks Football League Draft 2017

And it's time once again for our annual fantasy football draft in the Twin Peaks Football League.  We're kicking off our fifth season, and, like my fantasy baseball league, the Irrational League (which has been going on so long we can't remember when it started, but we agree that it was over twenty-five years ago) it's mainly an excuse to get together.  None of us are really that competitive, although competitive enough to talk mild smack and leave taunting notes on office doors. This year Craig Pepin and I have a side bet on whether Marcus Mariota (CP's pick) or Jameis Winston (mine) score more points, with a Montreal Alouettes jersey hanging in the balance.  It's a 14 team league, which means that you run out of players you like (or have even heard of) pretty quickly, and by the 10th round (of 16) you're thinking of drafting a second Defense just to follow the medical dictate: first off, do no harm.  I had the first pick in the draft (the order is determined by drawing names out of an Omani hat, which is as official as it gets), which means that in the snake draft I wasn't picking again until the end of the second round and the beginning of the third (so, essentially, I picked 1st, 28th and 29th).  So by my third pick I had moved beyond panic to quiet acceptance of my impending doom.

Your 2017 Springfield Buffalo

Jameis Winston (QB)
LeVeon Bell (RB)
Lamar Miller (RB)
Terrelle Pryor (WR)
Marvin Jones (WR)
Travis Kelce (TE)
Mark Ingram (FLX)
Cardinals D/ST (D/ST)
Kai Forbath (K)

Willie Snead (BE)
Kevin White (BE)
Josh Doctson (BE)
Tyler Lockett (BE)
Bengals D/ST (BE)
Breshad Perriman (BE)
Jared Cook (BE)

There were many brilliant moments in the draft.  We draft online which means you have exactly two minutes to draft before the window closes and you get whoever the system thinks you should have (if you haven't set up your queue), which leads to a bit of mock stress (last year my friend Cyndi was timed out twice, which led to a barrage of profanity).  My favorite moment was drafting Willie Snead of the Saints, who I actually like, and then finding out that he was suspended during the draft. Doh!

I think we can assume that it will be another year with a championship for the SB.  I love my team so much I already have multiple waiver claims in process to dump half these dogs.

My friend Cyndi, focused this year.  Every time she was up to draft, and the clock was ticking, I would begin talking to her in earnest about travel courses we could run together (as a true older brother would).




No comments: