Wednesday, October 11, 2017

My Years With Proust - Day 599

   From the moment of waking, when I picked up my grief again at the point where I had left it before going to sleep, like a book which had been shut for a while but which I would keep before my eyes until night, it was invariably to some thought concerning Albertine that I related every sensation, whether it came to me from without or from within.  The bell would ring: it must be a letter from her, or she herself perhaps! If I felt well and not too miserable, I was no longer jealous, I no longer had any grievance against her, I wanted to see her at once, to kiss her, to live happily with her ever after.  The act of telegraphing to her "Come at once" seemed to me to have become a perfectly simple thing, as though my new mood ha changed not merely attitude, but things external to myself, had made them easier.  If I was in a sombre mood, all my anger with her revived, I no longer felt any desire to kiss her, I felt how impossible it was that she could ever make me happy, I sought only to harm her and to prevent her from belonging to other people. But the outcome of these two opposite moods was identical: it was essential that she should return as soon as possible.  And yet, whatever joy I might feel at the moment of her return, I sensed that very soon the same difficulties would recur and that to seek happiness in the satisfaction of a desire of the mind was as naive as to attempt to reach the horizon by walking straight ahead. The further the desire advances, the further does real possession recede.  So that if happiness, or at least the absence of suffering, can be found, it is not the satisfaction, but the gradual reduction and the eventual extinction of desire that one should seek.  One seeks to see the beloved object, but one ought to seek not to: forgetfulness alone brings about the ultimate extinction of desire.  And I imagine that if an author were to publish truths of this sort he would dedicate the book that contains them to a woman with whom he would thus take pleasure in striking up a relationship, saying to her: "This book is yours." And thus, while telling the truth in his book, he would be lying in his dedication, for he will attach to the book's being hers only the importance that he attaches to the stone which came to him from her and which will remain precious to him only so long as he is in love with her.  The bonds between ourselves and another person exist only in our minds.  Memory as it grows fainter loosens them, and notwithstanding the illusion by which we want to be duped and with which, out of love, friendship, politeness, difference, duty, we dupe other people, we exist alone.  Man is the creature who cannot escape from himself, who knows other people only in himself, and when he asserts the contrary, he is lying. And I should have been so afraid of being robbed (had anyone been capable of so robbing me) of this need of her, this love for her, that I convinced myself that it was a precious necessity in my life.  To be able to hear, without being charmed and pained by them, the names of the stations through which the train passes on its way to Touraine would have seemed to me a diminution of myself (for no other reason really than that it would have proved that I was becoming indifferent to Albertine).  It was right, I told myself, that by incessantly asking myself what she could be doing, thinking, wishing, at every moment, whether she intended, whether she was going to return, I should keep open that communicating door which love had opened up in me, and feel another person's life flooding through open sluices to fill the reservoir which must not again become stagnant.
Marcel Proust, The Fugitive, pp. 458-459

A couple of days ago I talked about the battle inside of Remembrance of Things Past, and within Proust, between Romanticism and Stoicism (or at least my perception of that battle).  In the following passage Marcel is trying to come to grips with the pain caused by Albertine's leaving, and it reads like something from the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius:  "The further the desire advances, the further does real possession recede.  So that if happiness, or at least the absence of suffering, can be found, it is not the satisfaction, but the gradual reduction and the eventual extinction of desire that one should seek.  One seeks to see the beloved object, but one ought to seek not to: forgetfulness alone brings about the ultimate extinction of desire."  Well, truthfully, it also seems to rest somewhere between Hal Hartley's Surviving Desire and Patty Griffin's Useless Desires.

So why do we bother?  Why suffering through these useless desires?  As Proust reminds us, "The bonds between ourselves and another person exist only in our minds.  Memory as it grows fainter loosens them, and notwithstanding the illusion by which we want to be duped and with which, out of love, friendship, politeness, difference, duty, we dupe other people, we exist alone."  To me the key is his proposal that "we want to be duped," we want to adhere to that illusion, because, according to Proust, although we may "exist alone," that is different than knowing that we exist alone, and the illusion keeps us from that horrible, existential realization. But see, here's the thing, he also proposes, " . . . I should keep open that communicating door which love had opened up in me, and feel another person's life flooding through open sluices to fill the reservoir which must not again become stagnant." Love may be an illusion, but it also forms that connection to other people, and without it we will, like the reservoir, grow stagnant.  For years, even as my friends rolled their eyes, I've proposed that I'm free of the carnal whirlwind, that is, either because of age or through philosophical study, I've reached those Elysian Fields where I'm free of all the madness wrought by love and desire.  But how stagnant would we be if this were ever the reality?




No comments: