Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The Ravages of Time

Here's a picture that I didn't even know existed. As part of my Concepts of the Self class every fall I do a new self-portrait to model the assignment for my students (and I'm sure I included my clumsy attempts at art on the blog before).  In a mail to the rest of the Core Division I asked a technical question in regards to adapting a photograph for my self-portrait.  Jeff Haig responded with this picture, which he then manipulated to show how it might be accomplished. This was snapped, I later figured out, at Ken Wade's retirement party last year when I was dragooned into speaking. I'm clearly an ancient soul and time has had its way with me, but as pictures of beached wrecks go this one isn't bad.

I'm mainly trying to figure out what Wehmeyer, Mills and Lange are thinking.

Haig's efforts were much better than the original picture, and has definitely inspired me on how to proceed with my self-portrait.  Luckily, I work with much smarter people.



No comments: