Sunday, December 17, 2017

After the Gold Rush

Tonight my son sent along this picture of him that his friend Seth snapped.  He's sitting and staring pensively out the window in his new apartment down in Springfield.  Gary, of course, mocked it, opining, "I think I could have been in the band America, or like 90% of the bands from the early 70s."  I, on the contrary, love this picture, and told him that it reminded me of Neil Young vintage After the Gold Rush.  Although, thinking more about it later, NY during his On the Beach stage might be an even better fit.  Truthfully, it reminds me of him more than any one else; he's always been his own person, kept his own counsel, and followed his own path. One of the philosophers we talk about in COR 110 talks about "air," that indefinable quality that we possess.  Someone who knows you well will look at a picture and say, "that is so him" and yet anyone else wouldn't see anything unique or special about the shot.  This picture definitely expresses my son's "air."  On a related note, he's a hell of a lot more handsome than I ever was.

"I was thinking about what a friend had said.
I was hoping it was a lie."


No comments: