Sunday, December 10, 2017

My Years With Proust - Day 682

   But it is sometimes just at the moment when we think that everything is lost that the intimation arrives which may save us; one has knocked at all the doors which lead nowhere, and then one stumbles without knowing it on the only door through which one can enter - which one might have sought in vain for a hundred years - and it opens of its own accord.  Revolving the gloomy thoughts which I have just recorded, I had entered the courtyard of the Guermantes mansion and in my absent-minded state I had failed to see a car which was coming towards me; the chauffeur gave a shout and I just had time to step out of the way, but as I moved sharply backwards I tripped against the uneven paving-stones in front of the coach-house.  And at the moment when, recovering my balance, I put my foot on a stone which was slightly lower than its neighbour, all my discouragement vanished and in its place was that same happiness which at various epochs of my life had been given to me by the sight of trees which I had thought that I recognised in the course of a drive near Balbec, by the sight of the twin steeples of Martinville, by the flavour of a madeleine dipped in tea, and by all those other sensations of which I have spoken and of which the last works of Vinteuil had seemed to me to combine the quintessential character. Just as, at the moment when I tasted the madeleine, all anxiety about the future, all intellectual doubts had disappeared, so now those that a few seconds ago had assailed me on the subject of the reality of my literary gifts, the reality even of literature, were removed as if to decisive argument, but the difficulties which had seemed insoluble a moment ago had lost all importance.  The happiness which I had just felt was unquestionably the same as that which I had felt when I tasted the madeleine soaked in tea.  But if on that occasion I had put off the task of searching for the profounder causes of my emotion, this time I was determined not to resign myself to a failure to understand them. The emotion was the same; the difference, purely material, lay in the images evoked: a profound azure intoxicated my eyes, impressions of coolness, of dazzling light, swirled round me and in my desire to seize them - as afraid to move as I had been on the earlier occasion when I had continued to savour the taste of the madeleine while I tried to draw into my consciousness whatever it was that it recalled to me - I continued, ignoring the evident amusement of the great crowd of chauffeurs, to stagger as I had staggered a few seconds ago, with one foot on the higher paving-stone and the other on the lower.  Every time that I merely repeated this physical movement, I achieved nothing; but if I succeeded, forgetting the Guermantes party, in recapturing what I had felt when I first placed my feet on the ground in this way, again the dazzling and indistinct vision fluttered near me, as if to say: "Seize me as I pass if you can, and try to solve the riddle of happiness which I set you." And almost at once I recognise the vision: it was Venice, of which my efforts to describe it and the supposed snapshots taken by my memory had never told me anything, but which the sensation which I had once experienced as I stood upon the two uneven stones in the baptistery of St Mark's had, recurring a moment ago, restored to me complete with all the other sensations linked on that day to that particular sensation, all of which had been waiting in their place - from which with imperious suddenness a chance happening had caused them to emerge - in the series of forgotten days.  In the same way the taste of the little madeleine had recalled Combray to me.  But why had the images of Combray and of Venice, at these two different moments, given me a joy which was like a certainty and which sufficed, without any other proof, to make death a matter of indifference to me?
Marcel Proust, Time Regained, pp. 898-900

It wasn't that long ago when Proust had determined that he would never be a writer, and, for that matter, he had had even begun to doubt the value and legitimacy of literature.  And then suddenly everything changes in a strange accident outside of the Guermantes party as he stumbles to the ground, and it inspires a memory reminiscent of his famous eating of the madeleine soaked in tea.  As Proust explains: "The happiness which I had just felt was unquestionably the same as that which I had felt when I tasted the madeleine soaked in tea.  But if on that occasion I had put off the task of searching for the profounder causes of my emotion, this time I was determined not to resign myself to a failure to understand them."  He is determined to devote himself to his quest.  We know how he struggled after tasting the madeleine to recapture the memory, but he clearly redoubles his effort here: "Every time that I merely repeated this physical movement, I achieved nothing; but if I succeeded, forgetting the Guermantes party, in recapturing what I had felt when I first placed my feet on the ground in this way, again the dazzling and indistinct vision fluttered near me, as if to say: "Seize me as I pass if you can, and try to solve the riddle of happiness which I set you." And almost at once I recognise the vision: it was Venice, of which my efforts to describe it and the supposed snapshots taken by my memory had never told me anything, but which the sensation which I had once experienced as I stood upon the two uneven stones in the baptistery of St Mark's had, recurring a moment ago, restored to me complete with all the other sensations linked on that day to that particular sensation, all of which had been waiting in their place - from which with imperious suddenness a chance happening had caused them to emerge - in the series of forgotten days." This event, not surprisingly, sets up the final two hundreds pages of Remembrance of Things Past, as Proust tries to "solve the riddle of happiness."

"In the same way the taste of the little madeleine had recalled Combray to me.  But why had the images of Combray and of Venice, at these two different moments, given me a joy which was like a certainty and which sufficed, without any other proof, to make death a matter of indifference to me?" If one figures out the "riddle of happiness" maybe death truly doesn't matter any more.  It seems that in modern American life we run away from death as fast as we can, and we somehow think that we're actually running towards happiness, but, of course, we aren't.  We're running away from unhappiness, which is not the same thing at all.  You only have to witness the shell game that the GOP plays to see this.  They don't offer anything other than a fabricated nightmare vision of an alternate universe, without any clear vision of a better world - and somehow it registers with people because they too are rushing headlong, illogically and madly, away from a world.  All of this makes what Proust was trying to do all the more impressive, and all the more necessary for each and every one of us to do individually.



No comments: