Saturday, December 16, 2017

Discography Year Two - Week 15

Yes, we're half-way through December and the holidays are hard upon us (I guess I should think about shopping, although I might need to grind my way through dozens of final papers first . . .).  It is our latest Thematic Week of the second year of the Discography.  This is our first Secret Santa week, and we're exchanging gift songs this week.  As always, it is a week of excellence.  Typically, Dave Wallace went rogue and both gifted a song and squeezed in a Christmas song.

Oh, and I wanted to send along a brief note to remind everyone that two weeks from today I'll be leaving for Zanzibar, so if you get the chance send a few songs early and I'll program them into the system.


Gary Beatrice

Gary is taking a little break from the Discography and he wanted me to send along best holiday wishes to everyone.  I know I speak for everyone when I send along prayers and best wishes to GB, the most excellent Margie, and all their kids.


Dave Wallace

Bruce Springsteen - Blood Brothers

 And, since the Burgermeister Meisterburger (X-mas reference!) of this blog has ordained that this is a theme week, I also submit a non-Christmas song.  Blood Brothers by Bruce Springsteen goes out to two of my oldest and best friends, Gary Beatrice and Dave Kelley.  I consider you brothers in spirit if not in blood.

Glenn Miller Orchestra  and the Brian Setzer Orchestra - Nutcracker Suite

After going with a very modern take on Christmas music last week with Sufjan Stevens, it's time to go more old school.  Back in their heyday, the Glenn Miller Orchestra released a few Christmas albums, which are excellent.  One of their Christmas highlights was their big band arrangement of the Nutcracker Suite, called In the Nutcracker Mood.  Surprisingly (or maybe not), I couldn't find a Youtube link for their version, so I've linked to the version by the Brian Setzer Orchestra, which is largely faithful to the Glenn Miller version, with a little more guitar tossed in.



Alice Neiley


Though I've mentioned this to many of you in blog posts or in person, I feel the need to, once again, repeat myself: I'm a major fan of Christmas. Like...a giddy, over-gifting, cry at all the Christmas movies and most carols kind of fan. Therefore, the idea of choosing one person to gift a song is impossible. 

Here we go:  

Dave Wallace: 

You've probably heard this, but it's my very favorite version of ANY Christmas tune. Ever. It makes life feel warm and tasty. 

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas--Ella Fitzgerald

Dave Kelley & Gary Beatrice: 

All this talk of country music...I had to share Jayme Stone's Lomax Project. They're more bluegrass I suppose, but why quibble? This is a VERY interesting take on a classic folk tune. 

Shenandoah--Jayme Stone's Lomax Project

Dave Mills: 

The only quasi-reggae song I've EVER liked, just for you. ;)

Bam Bam--Sister Nancy 

Kevin Andrews: 

To continue the trend of excellent Canadian singer songwriters, I bring you Eileen Laverty. I couldn't find any of her originals online, but here are some great covers: 

Don't Dream It's Over

Caledonia

Mike Kelly: 

Well...since you and I talk music quite a lot, I thought I'd go the ridiculous route... ;) 

Christmas at the Waffle House--David Stevens

12 Days of Christmas at the Waffle House--Danny Jones and Jerry Buckner

Cheryl Casey:

No commentary needed. 

Rainbow Connection--Kermit and Debbie Harry

Phil Seiler:

A sweet, lovely song from a REALLY fabulous band. Pajaro Sunrise has been on my favorite list for quite some time, mainly for their covers of Romeo's Tune and Hungry Heart, but some of their other stuff has a bit of a harder edge. Sunday Morning Birds is officially my favorite, though, and it seems to ease my mind....and the times:


Kathy Seiler:

Soul sistah. So, though I've never been a huge Eminem fan, I've always liked his "Lose Yourself" because of its badass beat, the sharp, narrative-based lyrics, and pretty inspiring message. The only thing better is...well...Kellylee Evans singing it. Beat that shit. 


Cyndi Brandenburg:

For the Scrooge in all of us, but... in a really pretty way! This tune is slow and sad and lovely and the lyrics deal with the singer's vague frustration and depression over shopping lines, etc. One of my favorites, despite my usual Christmas cheer ;) 

Christmas After All--Maria Taylor

Scudder: 

I'm beginning to understand that while we share a love of jazz and Neil Young, among other things, we're also both sort of hopeless romantics (shut up, don't even try to deny it). These are a few of the many reasons I adore you, but the latter is especially close to my heart. I don't meet a lot of romantics, so for that I'm extra glad to have found you. Merry Christmas, Prez. 

I'm Old Fashioned--Chet Baker



Kevin Andrews

Now that my brain has healed after exploding while listening to Christmas Unicorn, damn that was awesome, I can resume.

Many songs we associate with Christmas were never intended to be Christmas songs. Christmas, Inc. seems to suck them up without a second thought. You may have seen the most recent episode of the War on Christmas™ featuring Jingle Bells in which some northeastern liberal academic egg head writes of its racist origins. Damn those people! Luckily, Fox and Breitbart are all over that shit. I feel freer just knowing they’re out there protecting the freedom we have left. Never mind that JB never actually mentions Christmas and was intended to be a song for Thanksgiving. Bless their racist hearts, everyone.

Apparently, there’s an annual discussion about the Joni Mitchell’s song River and whether or not it’s a Christmas song. The test seems to be how many other singers include it on their Xmas record. In their defense, it does allude to Jingle Bells in the melody and uses the word Christmas.

Another song we associate with Christmas is Greg Lake’s most excellent I Believe in Father Christmas which laments the creation of Christmas, Inc. I’ve always found Greg’s voice and guitar playing captivating and it makes this wonderful song even more beautiful.

This is for another member of the Greg Lake fan club, Northeast Liberal Academic, and friend Gary Scudder who must have known that by proclaiming the proverbial rock in the Halloween bag, he guaranteed a stocking full.


Dave Kelley

I am going to break the rules of this week's theme and make my selection a gift to everyone.


 I probably would not like a lot of Martina McBride's original music, but I love her Christmas record.  She has a fantastic voice and the instrumentation is excellent.

I have so enjoyed being a part of this blog, and the best part has been forming this little online community.  Some members of the blog have been dear friends since God's dog was a puppy.  Others I have never met.  Yet every week I get to enjoy a wide variety of music as well as thoughtful and intelligent commentaries.  I wish everyone a peaceful and joyous holiday season regardless of what holiday, if any at all, you observe.  May everyone have their loved ones close at hand and enjoy the blessings of the season.  All of these pleasures are temporary and fleeting, so let's enjoy the hell out of them.
                

Kathy Seiler

For Cyndi Brandenburg:
Luis Fonsi - Despacito (ft. Daddy Yankee) 

This song is for you to start practicing Spanish before we go to Ecuador and the Galapagos in 2019. Oh, and I expect to see you dancing like this at the end of the year party in May.

For Alice Neiley:
Grover – Monsterin the Mirror 

Do I really need to say anything about this song? Okay, how about if I say “Wubba wubba wubba wubba woo woo woo…. If you wubba me I will wubba you.”

For Cheryl Casey:

Who knew so many of my friends loved the Muppets? I think of this song every time I see you with your giant Kermit mug, except I insert the words “Chair of Curriculum Committee” in the place of the word “green.” :)

For Dave Mills:
Dana McKeon – Street Art 

Because… first floor Freeman Hallway.

For Gary Scudder:
Herbie Hancock – Little One 

Jazz, by one of my favorite artists, Herbie Hancock, who is more experimental1. “Little One” is off the Maiden Voyage album, but was originally done by Miles Davis (Miles’ version was a little smoother, more traditional2). Obviously, the reference to our difference in height and your penchant for travel (although I don’t think the word “maiden” really applies in any sense to you), coupled with two favorite jazz artists, made this one a perfect fit.

1Science (experimental)

2History (traditional)

Phillip Seiler

I suspect this week is going to be jam packed. It is so hard to only give one. So without further ado and with minimal commentary, let the unwrapping begin.

To Scudder: Herbie Mann "Dona Palmeira

While not your usual jazz vibe, I defy you to listen to this track and not feel happy, warm, and like dancing.

To Dave Wallace: Kate Rusby "Little Jack Frost"

Honoring your December commitment (almost) and giving you this Christmas (almost) song from the incomparable Kate Rusby and her gorgeous voice and northern english accent.

To Cyndi Brandenburg: Erin McKeown: "Christmas Waltz (f*ck that)"

Because I know you love Christmas.

To Kathy Seiler: Darlingside "Good For You"

I know we said we weren't getting each other songs for the blog. I lied. #sorrynotsorry


As a connoisseur of Christmas music I really thought I had heard it all. I had not. And now you can all share my joy & pain. 

Happy Holidays, comrades! 



Cyndi Brandenburg


This one is for all of you....even though the musical style might be too particular for some of you.  Listen to the lyrics, find your way in, and write your own story.  And I will hold the morning for you, as I always do, ready to listen.   Especially Saturdays.


Hey Marseilles, Hold the Morning 


Gary Scudder

My wallet is empty but my heart is full:

To Dave Wallace. From Santa.

Miles Davis, Baby Won't You Please Come Home.  I remember Dave saying how much he liked a classic version of this song last December.  This is a lovely version from Davis's often overlooked Seven Steps to Heaven album.

To Jack Schultz. From Santa.

Neil Young, The Old Country Waltz.  This song always reminds me of the ungodly number of dive bars that Jack and I have inhabited over the years.  I'm including the version from Hitchhiker, although it appeared initially on American Stars 'N Bars.

To Kathy Seiler. From Santa.

Neil Young, Journey Through the Past.  What better song for one of the twenty people on the planet who actually reads my witless reflections on Proust on a daily basis?  Here's a version from the wonderful live Massey Hall show from 1971 that was released as part of the NY Archives collection.

To Bob Craigmile. From Santa.

Neil Young, Heart of Gold.  OK, it's not that I don't like Heart of Gold, my point was simply that there are 110 NY songs better than Heart of Gold.  I'm still happy to send this along to BC as a gift, because, first off, I've actually known him since this song came out, and secondly, and more importantly, Bob is a very noble soul who both has, and is constantly looking for, a heart of gold.

To Dave Mills. From Santa.

Kathleen Edwards, Chameleon/Comedian. OK, ignore the much darker side of this song (and definitely don't watch the official video, which may be the most fucked up music video I've ever seen).  Instead, I'm paying homage to Aiken's resident trickster.  I only thought I was a prankster until I met the excellent Dave Mills (going back to his infamous Gary Scudder Love's Savage Fury book cover and continuing on a weekly basis).

To Miranda Tavares. From Santa.

Bruce Springsteen, Darkness on the Edge of Town.  OK, this is not a commentary on Miranda's socioeconomic aspirations, but rather a celebration of her well-known love for big male voices - and it's hard to imagine a song that features more than this Springsteen classic.

To Nate Bell.  From Santa.

Neil Young, Rockin' in the Free World.  A great protest song to end a year of protest and launch another year of protest.

To Alice Neiley. From Santa.

Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, Moonlight in Vermont.  While I quite rightly mock Vermonters, I do love Vermont, and tend to find more things to love about it all the time.  I'm very happy that over the last year I've added the most excellent gadabout gamine Alice Neiley as a friend.

To Mike Kelly.  From Santa.

Drive-By Truckers, Heathens. Well, duh. There are few people who are more completely, undeniably authentic than MK, and it's one of the many things I love about him.

To Phillip Seiler. From Santa.

Hassan Mihab, Alif Ana. What could I get Phillip but a traditional Yemeni song?  When we go to Yemen it will be epic. And don't ask me to translate the Arabic.  The best I can do is that I think alif ana would be the equivalent of "I am one." Alif is the first letter in the Arabic alphabet, but it also is used to mean one, and ana means I (and am is always assumed).

To Cheryl Casey. From Santa.

John Coltrane, Locomotion.  A fitting song for the frenetic CC, and also to make her happy after spending the other night separating fighting students.

To Kevin Andrews. From Santa.

Neil Young. Come On Baby Let's Go Downtown.  There are few people who more consistently are happy to go downtown, and prove to be more truly excellent company, than the esteemed Kevin Andrews.  Here's a great song from Tonight's the Night featuring the late Danny Whitten.

To Cyndi Brandenburg, From Santa.

Neil Young, Where Is The Highway Tonight?  In honor of my titular little sister and determined travelling companion Mei Mei.  This song is sort of an earlier, and less elegant, version of Lucinda Williams's Side of the Road.

To Gary Beatrice. From Santa.

Miles Davis, Stella By Starlight.  Simply because it is beautiful, and isn't the essential human drive the pursuit of beauty?  And life, every little obscure corner of it, before, during and after, is chock full of beauty if you're willing to look.

To Dave Kelley.  From Santa.

Bruce Springsteen, The Promised Land.  Although Dave would roll his eyes and deny it, everyone knows that he's about as fine a man as you would ever have the great good fortune to meet.  Part of the reason for this is a finely calibrated moral compass (yes, I don't always use the term ironically) and a belief that there is a better world that is worth working toward.

Here's an actual picture of the first time I met Dave Kelley (I'm the one on the right).  I'm not certain how Loretta Young knew the two of us.





No comments: