Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Nairobi Milkshake

As I've often opined, for all the amazing destinations which inspire travel, in the end it's the quiet little moments that make for a memorable trip.  At the end of the recent way too stressful trip to Zanzibar - and side trip to Nairobi - I found myself killing time in the Nairobi Airport.  Since the trip had been so fraught with disasters, both big and small, I made the decision to get to the airport way too early (even by my standards).  I plopped down at the Hardee's, probably drawn by the fact that we don't have Hardee's in Vermont.  Plus, I suspect that after an exhausting trip I was drawn to some comfort food.  Here's a picture of the vanilla milkshake I happily consumed, and to the left is my ancient Kindle which made it through another trip in one piece.  It all made for a nice little quiet moment as I re-calibrated. 

I also had a massive cheeseburger, which had its own dodgy charm.
The college wanted to fly me back directly to Burlington but I told them to just route me back to Dar Es Salaam so that I could surprise Steve and the students at the airport.  We were all happy to see each other, and Steve and I had a pretty embarrassing bromance moment (which the students found oddly touching).  Plus, Steve owed me a birthday Kilimanjaro, and even if I didn't get it at the African House in Stone Town, and instead at the twenty-four hour restaurant in the Dar Es Salaam international airport, it was still a cold Kilimanjaro.

No comments: