Sunday, January 21, 2018

Sylvie, Safe Yourself

The Vikings are playing the Eagles today in the NFC Championship game, so, of course, many of my friends are texting me to offer support and/or early condolences.  Essentially, I'm a national synonym for a long-suffering Vikings fan.  I'll be watching the game today with my son at Smitty's.  Actually, we'll be there insanely early because he's a Patriots fan so we're required to watch both games.  I think he's showing up mainly to look after me after they break my heart again (always in dramatic fashion).  Even when they do something dramatic on the positive side I miss it.  On the way back from Africa last week I was able to stream the NFL playoff games on the plane, but had to get off just before the wild end of the Vikings/Saints game - and only found out about the Stefon Diggs play when Jack Schultz and Dave Kelley texted me as I waited for my luggage to arrive.  A couple years ago when Blair Walsh infamously missed that 19 yard field goal against the Seahawks I had told my son in advance that he would miss it.  He said, "That was weird.  You were so certain."  I said, "It never occurred to me that he would make it."  Ah, life as a Vikings fan.

Here's a picture that my dear friend Andy Burkhardt sent me from last week's game as he and his new daughter Sylvie watched the excitement.  All I can say is this: Sylvie, save yourself.  It's too late for your father or me, but you can have a great life if you make the correct choices, and one of them is following a better team.


No comments: