Saturday, March 3, 2018

Discography Year Two - Week 26

Yes, we are now officially through the second year of our Discography music discussion, as difficult to  believe as that is.  This week is typically good, and typically eclectic.  Dave Kelley's choice inspired a wonderful side conversation the other day between DK, JS and yours truly about the first concert the Jack and I attended, and the decidedly non-scholarly, non-adult beverages which were consumed.  It was a blissful memory, until I later realized that when we were having that reasonably adult moment Alice Neiley wasn't born yet.  That was tough to handle, but, as AS proposes, she does look 16 (I would have guessed 14).  The jarring moment was when I realized that when we were enjoying (not enjoying) Robin Hood Creme Ale on the way to the Boz Skaggs concert Mike Kelly wasn't born either.

As we've discussed, the esteemed Cyndi Brandenburg and I will be, inshallah, in Jordan soon with some number of students (one managed to break his leg the other day so his presence is still being sorted out by various and sundry medical professionals; it's always something).  So, if you don't mind sending along a couple songs by Wednesday I'll enter them into the system and instruct (well, ask politely) the nano-overlords to release them on time.  Special thanks to the excellent Dave Wallace who, as is his wont, is way ahead (and may have lapped us and started Year Three).  I do appreciate you folks sending the songs/commentaries early because it does mess up the rhythm.  As we've discussed, my song in any particular week did not start out as the song for that week, and was probably shuffled back and forth three times depending upon my mood.


Dave Wallace

Moby Grape - Hey Grandma & Omaha

In a more-just world, Moby Grape would have been one of the biggest acts of the '60s.  Coming out of the same San Francisco scene as Jefferson Airplane and the Grateful Dead, the Grape was absurdly-talented; all five members could sing lead and harmony, and each was a good-to-great songwriter.  Unfortunately, bad management, label difficulties, interpersonal conflicts, and mental health issues for some of the band members effectively derailed them from any sustained success.  Their first album is a semi-lost classic and, shockingly, it's no longer available, not even in digital form (although I think you can find most, if not all, of its songs on compilations).  For the blog, I've chosen two of the best things from that album - lead track, Hey Grandma, and the guitar rave-up, Omaha.


Kevin Andrews

I was planning to continue to write about guitarists for the next 4 or 5 weeks but I thought I’d save them for the when blog overlords come and use something (sort of) new. That way I won’t look as old as the people in the Spotify statistics.

I’d heard about Kurt Vile, The War on Drugs, and Courtney Barnett for some time but, as I do, I choose to ignore them. I remember thinking Kurt Vile, is he still alive? Turns out, Kurt Weill of Three Penny Opera fame died in 1950 so I was sort of right. I should pay more attention. Kurt is from Landsdowne, PA which is practically my home town. He, like me, got out young.


Kurt left WoD after their first album and set out on his own. While touring, he’d run Courtney at festivals and when he played in Australia, he would visit. Seeing them together it’s no surprise they would eventually record an album together. They have very similar mannerisms, they’re guitar playing is similar and they act like goofy teenagers. Their music defies categorization, sort of punk, sort of country. Despite their seemingly casual attitude while playing they’re both pretty solid instrumentalists and writers. They’ve grown on me quite a bit over the last few months. This video is from their album, Lotta Sea Lice. Here is their KEXP performance if you’d like to hear more. 


Phillip Seiler

The Untouchables

I thought discography could use a ska track and the Untouchables sprung to mind immediately. Credited with being the US's first ska band, the Untouchables started in LA in the early 80s. They never really had big success in the states but they did have some singles do well in Britain which always seemed to embrace ska more than us new worlders. 


Free Yourself was their most successful track and it's not hard to see why. It's full throttle fun from the first drum roll to the last trumpet note. Couple that dancey goodness with the message that you are the only thing that can set yourself free and you have a track right up my alley. Apparently the band appeared in a bunch of movies including being a scooter gang in Repo Man which makes me want to rewatch that right now. But that would inevitably lead to falling down a hole of early 80s punk and sadly I have responsibilities and no time for that. 80s me would be very disappointed in 2010's me. (80s me was also a Republican so his judgement is completely suspect.)


Kathy Seiler

Keyon Harrold – Wayfaring Traveler


I heard this song this past summer as I allowed Spotify to play me some new music. It’s jazzy, with some funk thrown in the lyrics. Harrold is a jazz trumpeter and this song is of the album called “The Mugician.” He’s performed as trumpet for many hip-hop artists on their songs as well. You can see him backing up Common at a White House Tiny Desk Concert during Obama’s last months in office (https://www.npr.org/2016/10/03/496433228/common-tiny-desk-concert-at-the-white-house). Those were the days when the White House was a good place… but I digress. I really like the vibe of the song, and seeing as two people I adore are shortly heading to Jordan with a bunch of college students, I thought the title was particularly relevant this week.


Alice Neiley

Fasten your seat belts, everyone. Since last week, my rabbit hole has grown immeasurably larger, and immeasurably more dated…by which I mean…it betrays my actual age. This is somewhat unusual for me (musically speaking, because yes, I know I look 16), as much of my favorite music was popular long before I was born – save for the singer songwriter genre. I blame my father. There’s one exception to that ‘rule’, though: the 90s.

During the pool game at the Four Sport Triathlon last weekend, I unsurprisingly tanked $15 on yet another jukebox, and given the late hour (really late, oh my god), I found myself cranking 90s hip hop.  This got me thinking about 90s music in general, and the discography, and how if the 90s was to be represented on this blog (at least from a “I grew up with this music’ perspective), I was the only one with the appropriate credentials.  Mike Kelly might be next in line for this generationally determined role, but when some of these tunes were ACTUALLY popular, he was likely just that much older, cooler, and thus too ‘alternative’ in taste to truly enjoy them/have all the lyrics, trying-to-be-badass guitar solos, and hip hop ‘breakdowns” memorized. So here I am to save the day, your resident 32-year-old, born in 1985, most susceptible to musical influence in the 90s, during my middle/high school years (according to an article on Slate 
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/08/musical_nostalgia_the_psychology_and_neuroscience_for_song_preference_and.html)).

I’m so far down this rabbit hole already that I’ve begun a Spotify playlist called “I’m Lovin’ It: Songs You Can’t Resist”, implying that songs of the 90s occasionally have the same effect as McDonalds fries or nuggets – not exactly good, but…so good.

But first, partially in the spirit of the BLM walkout at Champlain, let’s start with the exactly good. After all, everyone knows hip-hop’s golden age was mid-90s. Here are the four top hip hop tunes in my book, from most hip-hop à r&b infused. (The runners up, as well as a few others, will be included on the upcoming Spotify playlist).

1. Changes – Tupac (2pac): 1998 


You can’t get through the 90s as a teenager without falling in love with at least one 2pac song, even as a white, blonde girl from the Midwest…or perhaps especially as? “Changes” is my fave, and played at parties I was never invited to, but also occasionally on random radio stations…which of course I recorded onto mix cassette tapes. The most interesting thing about this tune is the juxtaposition of the lines ‘things will never be the same’ and ‘some things will never change’. I have my own thoughts about the space between those ideas…but I’ll leave you to yours. I also LOVE the piano riff.

2. Mo money Mo problems – Notorious B.I.G.: 1997

There’s such a great pull between the instrumentation indicative of 80s pop hits (in this case an actual pop hit) and solid, classic hip-hop verse – you can hardly imagine something like this even happening anymore. I mean, who would take a pop style from the 90s or early 2000s and layer hip hop on top in with such balance these days? I can’t think of anyone, partly because the sharp simplicity of hip hop beats has largely gone by the wayside, regardless of what the instrumental backing happens to be.

3. Ready or Not – The Fugees:  1996  


The world is officially introduced to the goddess that is Lauryn Hill.  More on her later. Just enjoy. The 11 / 12 year old Alice fell in love immediately. (Can’t-help-myself-sidenote: can you BEAT Hill’s harmony with herself?!? The answer is no. No, you can’t beat that).

4. Shoop – Salt N Pepa: 1994 


I know every word to this song. Every. Word. And even after not hearing it for years and years, the words still come back without effort. This tune, in my opinion, truly begins the crossover from hiphop into r&b and pop – the beat is hip hop rooted, but the background melody is so catchy, complete with both vocal harmonies and unison, you almost don’t realize how much these girl-rappers are KILLIN’ it. I mean, seriously. The rhymes are crazy awesome. This isn’t even the ‘sickest’ rhyme, but it was my favorite way back when:  “Gimme some of that yum yum chocolate chip /honey dip/ lemme get a scoop/ baby take a ride in my coop / you make me wanna shoop.”

Runners up:

Don’t Wanna Be a Playa: Big Pun 1998

California Love:2Pac/Dr. Dre 1996

Used to Love Her: Common 1994

Hard Knock Life: Jay Z 1998

The Rain: Missy Elliott 1997


Can't Resist: Missy Elliott 1997


Dave Kelley

I careen back and forth between choosing songs that allow me to vent my spleen about all of the meanness and stupidity taking place in our country and ones that reflect whatever random thoughts have gathered in my small smooth brain over the preceding week.  Today's post is one of the latter.

"Lowdown"  Boz Scaggs

I made a huge mistake while visiting Florida last week.  I did not start a land war in Asia, nor did I get into a battle to the death with a Sicilian.  My error was far worse.  I tried to keep up with our mostly silent esteemed musicologist Jack when it came to drinking bourbon.  Specifically Knob Creek Bourbon.   My only defense is that I had already consumed far too many beers when I dove head first into Knob Creek without a life preserver.  I have never been up on Cripple Creek, but I have sure as shit been down in Knob Creek.

The context is that I went to Florida to visit my friend from 1st grade  Alan who moved there a few years ago.  We spent the weekend in Ft. Lauderdale with his most excellent girlfriend Clare who by happenstance lives less than ten minutes away from Jack and his better half Julie.  Claire's mother is from Thailand, and Claire threw a dinner party with mounds and mounds of amazing Thai food.  She was gracious enough to include Jack and Julie on the guest list.  Eventually all of this resulted in rivers of Knob Creek Bourbon being consumed.

At this point, a reasonable person might ask, "what in the flying fuck does this have to do with Boz Scaggs or "Lowdown".  Only if you drink enough bourbon will this mystery of life be revealed to you oh grasshoppers.  😉 

I have no idea what Boz is singing about in this song and could not possibly care less.  I have never made an effort to learn or understand the lyrics and have no plans on doing so.  What matters is that it sounds great and makes you feel happy.  Especially when you are surrounded by great friends old and new, stupefying amounts of Thai food, and every type of alcohol known to mankind.  When "Lowdown" came on the stereo that evening literally everyone in the room started swaying along with the killer bass line.  The night was just perfect in so many ways, and for the four or five minutes that "Lowdown" was blasting, it became something even more perfect.  Music can do many things on so many levels.  On that night it took me higher to paraphrase Sly Stone.  Perfection is rare and never sustainable so of course it must be treasured.  It was so awesome to see dear friends, Alan, Jack, and Julie.  I was really happy to meet Clare and her friends and neighbors.  I am always as happy as a butcher's dog to eat and drink copious amounts.   Despite the bourbon , I will long remember last Saturday and one of my memories was having "Lowdown" show up on the play list. 


Thanks Boz and whoever the hell played bass. 


Gary Scudder

Uncle Tupelo, Chickamauga

Years and years ago during a debate about whether or not Uncle Tupelo or the Drive-By Truckers were/are the greatest American band (every right thinking individual knows that these are the only two choices) Mike Kelly pointed out that that vast majority of Uncle Tupelo songs I love are Jay Farrar songs.  This was so long ago that Mike, in his general and unquestioned excellence, made me a Jay Farrar mix CD before I went to live in Abu Dhabi.  As I've pointed out before, a pox on both the Farrar and Tweedy houses for being assholes and destroying what was essentially a perfect band.  I like some Farrar stuff since the breakup - and have never warmed to Wilco at all - but I think even the best stuff pales in comparison to what they produced when the band was together (no matter how much they hated each other).  I say this by way of explaining why I chose Chickamauga, which is usually seen as presaging the end of the band.  It's from Anodyne, their swan song, and truly a great album. Referencing Chickamauga, one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War, is an apt and powerful metaphor.  At the same time, I suppose you do reach a point where you're tired of fighting battles.  Over dinner the other night my friend Alfonso Capone (and, yes, Champlain folks will testify that this is a real person) opined that I'm a nicer person now (I think he actually said that I've softened, which I guess I could have used since we're not doing phrasing any more).  It's hard to say whether this is wisdom or faith or just plain exhaustion, but AC's observation is probably accurate.  In my Yemen class this week we were talking about the classic designations inside the Islamic world: Dar al-Islam (the Abode of Islam, where you have a majority Muslim population), the Dar al-Harb (the Abode of War, where you can't practice your faith) and the Dar al-Sulh (the Abode of Peace, where it is not majority Muslim but where you can still practice your faith - despite the complicated relationship between the US and Islam, the US would fall into this category). As a Muslim you're instructed to follow the laws of the country where you live, but if you can't reconcile those laws and practice your own faith then you're directed to leave and go someplace where you can.  I think this works on the macro level, but it's also true on the micro level.  One of the biggest block to our own serenity is the environment in which we, usually quite willingly, live, and sometimes we need to leave.  In the end maybe it's enough that we've found our personal Dar al-Sulh; even if it's not everything it could be, isn't peace enough?  I mean, life is too short, or as Uncle Tupelo opined, "I don''t want to ever taste these tears again."  So, in the end, maybe I should give Farrar and Tweedy some slack.




No comments: