Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Ma'a Salama Jordan

I just returned the other day from another trip to Jordan with my truly excellent friend and colleague Cyndi, this time leading fifteen students as part of my Heroines & Heroes class.  We're reading portions of the Arabian Nights, and analyzing the key figures in the stories using different lenses (Narratology, Psychoanalytical, Marxist, Feminist, Campbell's monomyth, etc.), so Jordan seemed like a wonderful fit.  Plus, as everyone knows, it is my favorite overseas location. Actually, that's probably a misleading statement, since I don't think I need to add the descriptor "overseas."  Jordan is almost certainly my favorite place, period.  Expect a ton of pictures and stories.  It was the best student trip I've ever led, and that's saying something.

I have much better pictures of the sun setting over the Wadi Rum, but that's a whole separate post of it's own.  I chose this one because it was our last day in Jordan.  We rewarded the students for the exhausting hike through Petra - and the eight hour camel ride through the Wadi Rum - with a five hour trip to a resort on the Dead Sea.  My fear was that it would feel anti-climatic, but the students appreciated the rest.


No comments: