Friday, December 21, 2018

Pode Ser

One of the things that I wish I would have done a much better job of in the past is more deliberately and carefully record the names of folks I met on my trips around the world. Sometimes I meant to write down their names and didn't, and other times I did record their names but then lost them.  It's a pity because I've met so many wonderful folks overseas. During my recent trip to Portulgal I met Secil Somer, a professor from Turkey who was also presenting at the conference. After the conference we ended up spending the rest of the day together walking around Lisbon, often through the rain, initially because she wanted to visit a church (and I showed her one; it's strange to end up acting as a tour guide in a city that's not yours), but eventually just exploring and talking.  I especially enjoyed our long chat about faith and what it means to be and not to be a Muslim.

Here we had stopped at a little restaurant on the way walking down the hill from St. George's Castle (where we didn't intend to go in the first place). She was heading off the next day to visit Sintra.  I hope she had a marvelous time.



No comments: