Monday, December 31, 2018

Thankful

By the times the nano overlords release this post it will be the last day of the year, and I'll be, inshallah, in Zanzibar.  I'm putting off some much needed last minute travel activities to get caught up on some blogging, and in the process also clear up some space on my phone for even more pictures and videos. As should be the case as the year draws to a close I get even more reflective. It's been a long year, and in many ways I won't mourn its passing.  It began with problems in Zanzibar that coincided with the death of my great friend Gary Beatrice, but there were also many wonderful moments along the way. As always I'm most thankful for having my son in my life.  He's a blessing that I know I've never earned.  It was a tough year for him, but also a year where he faced down some challenges and came through even stronger.  He's a much saner, balanced person at thirty than I ever was at that age.  We were able to carve off time on Thanksgiving to get together before he left for work.  I asked him if he wanted to go get a turkey dinner, or whether he'd like a goetta-fueled breakfast or my homage to my mom's faux-Cincinnati chili.  Being Gary, he decided he wanted goetta chili dogs, which are now going to be a tradition. Like his father, apparently he has a talent for creating traditions (thinking back on his invention of Boy's Day when he was a small lad). I love him with all my heart.


And here he is putting the final touches on it: spaghetti on top of the hot dog, and then goetta chili and cheese.  It was not for the weak at heart.

No comments: