Sunday, November 17, 2019

Wadi Rum Bowl 2019

Over the years a couple of students have unexpectedly broken through my no gifts force field and surprised me with gifts; in the end it was always a class going together to get something, and it's usually been one of the travel course. A couple years ago it was famous framed Scudderisms from the India/Sri Lanka trip (they did it after the semester was already over so there wasn't much I could do about it, other than revel in it's epicness - I think I've blogged about it, but if not I'll have to make up for that shortcoming). On Thursday my students from the upcoming Jordan trip surprised me with this amazing football, which they had custom-made. It's in honor of the upcoming Wadi Rum Bowl between the Liza Ryan coached Buffalo Bills and the Scudder coached Minnesota Vikings to determine the ultimate loser franchise. Liza went on the last Jordan trip and she fell hard for the country (and who doesn't?) and began pestering me to arrange and lead a trip to take her back her senior year (she was joined in that by Ashley and Cat and Genevieve so I never stood a chance). In fact, I'm actually supposed to be on sabbatical this year, but I postponed it to make them happy (apparently I like my students). I don't quite remember the impetus for the Wadi Rum Bowl, although I'm sure it grew out of some combination of football smack talking and pining away for Jordan. Liza is bringing two footballs, which she'll deflate in advance, and then inflate when we're there (if she remembers the hand pump). Considering that it's the Bills and Vikings I'm sure it will end up with an embarrassing tie with Liza and I both getting injured.

Seriously, how epic is this? According to the manufacturer we can't deflate it - and we can't bring it on the plane because the pressure would make it blow up - so it will have to stand guard in my office until we get back. Undoubtedly Liza's Bills will end up winning then I guess she'll end up with the trophy/ball, which seems only appropriate.


No comments: