Saturday, November 30, 2019

What It Means - Day 257

"Whether you display a good deed openly or conceal it, or pardon an evil, truly God is Pardoning, Powerful."
Quran 4:149

And here's another brief passage from the fourth surah, al-Nisa, rendered as "Women." I don't know if I have anything profound to add to it, and, truthfully, how can one add anything more profound to notion of doing a good deed. I chose this one because of how it, essentially, equates, or nearly equates, performing a good deed and pardoning a bad deed done against you. I've never been a person who held grudges, and I think that was true long before I ever converted.  I'm not certain why, because I certainly come from a family of grudge-holders, or maybe it's because I came from a family of grudge-holders. There are people who have harmed me in my life, both personally and professionally, but I can't seem to muster the energy to hate them. Sadly, I've hurt people, some of them remarkably good and kind people, albeit it unintentionally, and I feel the weight of my actions, much like Jacob Marley's chain. I'd prefer that others didn't carry those weight around for wrongs they did to me, either intentionally or unintentionally.


No comments: