Tuesday, February 2, 2021

The Ramayana Is Trying to Kill Me

 Yes, the Ramayana is clearly trying to kill me. I am on sabbatical, and I'm trying to write every day. It's easy to mope about not being able to spend a semester in Palestine and a month in Australia - the original plan pre-COVID - but I try to not lose sight of the fact that I have this entire semester to focus on writing. It is a blessing and I appreciate the opportunity. The sabbatical is not designed to be a vacation, even if recharging your batteries is definitely part of the process. It's about time I finished this bloody book, even if it never evolves beyond the embryonic manuscript phase.

Yes, and that is only the Ramayana, not all of the other books about the Ramayana. While it may no longer be true, I do think that for a while the only two complete copies of the Critical Edition of the Ramayana in Vermont were at the St. Michael's College Library and my living room.



No comments: