Saturday, March 27, 2021

Gary Beatrice Discography #3

It's been a tough couple months for several members of the Discography crew: Kathy (knee), Cyndi (hamstring), GS (well, everything), Alice (skunk madness), etc. Happily, the Discography provides a joyous break from the challenges of life. I like the selections this week, typically eclectic, especially those of our newest contributors, Lynette and Bill, who are clearly feeling a cool, happy, spring-like vibe that we aren't in the #YankeeHellhole (TM pending), while we await 3-5 inches of snow on 1 April (UTKR).


Bill Farrington


I stumbled on to a HBO music series called Sonic Highways.  It was hosted by Dave Grohl, and I watched the first episode on a flight to Seattle on a 7 inch screen on the seat back in front of my seat.  I binged the rest of the series soon after.  It is very much worth a look - if you have not seen it.

 

The episode, centered around Washington DC, introduced Go Go music.  It mentioned a number of artists, but focused on Chuck Brown (and the Soul Searchers).  I was not familiar with Go Go prior to this.  I built a pandora channel around Chuck Brown.  Pandora suggested funk, motown, and soul as comps.

 

I am offering 2 Chuck Brown songs for this installment of the discography.  If this is against the rules, I will endure, without complaint, the duration of my double secret probation.

 

Bustin' Loose is Chuck Brown's most commercially successful single (circa the late 70's).  

 

It don't mean a thing - if it don't have the go go swing is the default example of go go music.

 

If you are still interested check out Run Joe live - it has a strong call and response aspect which is characteristic of go go music (did I just go to 3?).


Dave Kelley


"By the end of the set, we leave no one alive."

 

Well, the damn blog is named after my dear departed brother in arms Gary Beatrice, so I guess it only makes sense for me to make my choice this month a song inspired by his memory and dedicated to him.  Of course, if I was a real friend I would make my selection a Bob Dylan or Lou Reed song ( his two favorite artists), but since Gary isn't here to give me shit, I will roll a different way.

 

Much of Springsteen's excellent 2020 release "Letter to You" was inspired by the death of his last surviving bandmate from his teenage band.  This song "Ghosts" very much is.   The echoes of the dearly departed are with us constantly.  Sometimes in dreams, sometimes in memory, oftentimes inspired by something totally random that happens during our day.  Every interesting baseball trade, musical release, or movie makes me think of him and want to discuss it to get his take.  I ran into his Dad at the grocery store recently, and we got misty eyed in the frozen food section discussing what Gary would make of the Reds' offseason and chances in the coming year.

 

Inevitably we will all be someone else's fond memory someday.  We all make our vows to the ones who came before in one way or another even if it is not as romantic as taking the stage to play before thousands of people.  I sometimes imagine death as being the past, the present, and the future all combining into a point of singularity.  In any event, when I have the chance to see the E Street Band on the other side of the pandemic, I know I will have a smile on my face and tears rolling out of my eyes when they play this one.  I am confident that when he sings "I'm Alive" during this song, the houselights will come up and there will be a communal moment of knowing that everyone there lived through this calamity.

 

I also included "House of A Thousand Guitars" for no reason other than I love it.


Lynette Vought


Bein' Green

Mark Murphy

 

   Apparently, just about every vocal artist around has covered this song. There are all kinds of versions, from Frank Sinatra’s smooth and uneventful cruise to Lena Horne’s exaggerated theatricality. One of my favorites is Ray Charles’ exhibition as a master of soul at work.

 

    In this performance, the late, great Mark Murphy, backed by a fine ensemble and featuring a notable solo during the bridge by trumpeter Till Bronner, adds another element. It is one that allows us to feel the wistfulness, struggle and joy that comes with understanding oneself. 

    

    Murphy adds a special dimension to this version through his expressive improvisation. The lyrics tell us about how green can be found in the oceans and the mountains, and Murphy paints the image for us as he scales the peaks and dives the seas with his voice.  He creates a vivid tone poem of these grand green elements, and manages to communicate the effort it takes to grasp their scope and the desire to contribute to their success. There is a struggle in his vocalizations, like he is working hard to explain how wonderful and monumental these things are and how difficult it is to bring them to life. Kind of like everything around us in spring time.

 

Please enjoy it, and Happy Spring.


Alice Neiley


Oh would you calm down, Scudder. It's right here. ;) I think 7:42 still counts as MORNING. And yes I will blame skunks. I will blame all the skunks. 

 

My choice for this week was not difficult at all, for a change, as I haven't been able to stop listening to the Wailin Jennys for a month, and somehow Spotify just decided to include their cover of Dolly Parton's Light of a Clear Blue Morning. I confess, as much as I love Dolly Parton, I haven't even listened to the original. I just knew somehow that the Wailin Jennys hadn't written it -- the lyrics aren't quite like them, mainly -- in fact, I thought they might have been covering a slave spiritual, in which case I was going to have to discuss in this post whether it was appropriation or not. I'm glad I don't have to head that direction at the moment, as covering a Dolly Parton tune is completely within bounds. Anyway, I digress. The most notable thing about this song is the lack of instruments -- it's entirely acapella, which serves as the first of many calming elements in this arrangement. It begins beautifully enough, with a low background of voices and one soloist, but where I actually started crying was 0:46-0:48. Holy harmony Batman -- and the arrangement just continues its perfection from there. The lyrics are nothing to sneeze at either, and though Parton wrote them long before the pandemic arrived, after feeling restricted--whether by peers, or society, or illness, or family, or age--the feeling of freedom can come in many packages, all equally welcome and sweet. 


Cindy Morgan


OK FINE.

 

I have to admit that during the last year of Covid music has not really been my go-to medium for solace, strength, or esacpe. My go-to cultural artifacts have been podcasts, Netflix dramas (give me ALL the foreign crime series you can please! I will watch them all), and books. So when the senior faculty who runs this blog kept nagging me about writing about music, I felt terrible because I just haven't listened to much other than some classical and a lot of "Bohemian Rhapsody" when I used it for class back in October. 

 

But the other morning I had VPR on (as one does) and heard an ad for a new show called "It's a Sin." (HBOMAX) What caught my ear wasn't anything about the show at all but that they lifted the Pet Shop Boys' song for the theme. I likely won't watch the show because: HBOMAX, so I don't know if this is a good use of the song. Frankly I was pretty horrified when Mrs. America used Beethoven's 5th but turned it into. . .well whatever they turned it into. Like there aren't plenty of good songs about. . .women? But I digress.

 

A few things to remember about my highly idiosyncratic taste in music:

1) I have a real thing for Brit pop from the mid-80s through the early 90s. Depeche Mode, Erasure, ABC, New Order ..I am there for ALL. OF. IT. I'm STILL PISSED a year later that Phil Seiler CRUSHED Valentine's Day discography 2020 with ABC's "Valentine's Day." IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME! HOW DID I MISS THAT???

2) My ideal male vocalist usually sings in the tenor range--I'm a Martin Gore not a Dave Gahan

3) I love good lyrics as much as the next person, but they aren't strictly required

4) Synthesizers do not bother me AT ALL. Sure, I enjoy a more traditional guitar/bass/drums arrangement, I LOVE a full classical orchestra, but I'm also ok with digital sounds (as long as there are discernable vocals)

 

Pet Shop Boys "It's a Sin" (1987) checks all these boxes. I couldn't NOT like it. While the lyrics aren't super profound, I think they speak really powerfully to shame culture, and how so many of us carry baggage because of cultural/religious ideas that were imposed on us. Tennant didn't come out as gay until 1997 but it's hard not to read conservative sexual mores as the underlying theme of the song. It reminds me a bit of Bronsky Beat's "Smalltown Boy" (1984), and also Erasure's "Chains of Love" (1988) which were more obviously about the shaming of homosexuality in the 80s.

 

Listening to "It's a Sin" in the time of Covid restrictions felt very appropriate. It feels like every damn thing right now is a sin. I just saw two Core adjuncts for an outdoor distanced gathering and when they left they both double-masked. And now I'm feeling like, "Shit. Am I a bad Vermonter if I don't also double mask?" Scudder and I met for coffee recently and when we discovered Klingers had taken away the few indoor seats they had, we ended up sipping lattes in his car and it felt so..  .ILLICIT. I ate an avocado toast eighteen inches from another human and the WORST part of that wasn't that the girl who grew up in California was reinforcing EVERY cliche about Californians, but the eighteen inches apart with no mask part. Like we were definitely committing some grave sins. It's not that anyone knows that we are breaking rules. It's that the culture around us has set up these rules and we are all such good rule followers that it feels shameful when we deviate the tiniest bit.

 

Back to the song: it's just everything I want in a Brit-pop song. Upbeat, synth loaded, Neil Tennant with a voice that no one ever is going to describe as great, but squeezing every bit of pathos out of it that he can--in a song you can still dance to. This is no mean feat and is the real  accomplishment of good Brit-pop.

 

The video is so... .awful I cringe to put it in here. It is everything a bad 80s video should be. Monks in hooded robes, dungeons, an incense boat, seven deadly sins, they left NOTHING to imagination. So maybe just listen to it. Someone who has HBOMAX can tell me if the show deserves the song or not. Somehow I doubt it.

 


Gary Scudder


girl in red, 4 am


I chose this song mainly for Cyndi Brandenburg. CB is infamous for waking up in the middle of the night and fretting for hours, until her mind slows down - and it's time to get up. Now that she's recovering from her own dreadful surgery I'm sure it's not any better. I discovered this song after going down a BBC rabbit hole, which started out as a review of girl in red's song serotonin and her upcoming album. girl in red is Norwegian singer-songwriter and record produce Marie Ulven, who has become a queer icon, and with songs like i wanna be your girlfriend and two queens in a king size bed, you probably wouldn't find that surprising (apparently the line "So, do you listen to girl in red?" is an appropriate pickup line). I think my favorite is i'll die anyway. Now, Cyndi, get some sleep!


No comments: