Saturday, April 22, 2023

Some Ancient Djinn

 One of my students snapped this picture on the recent trip to Jordan. It was a bittersweet trip because it's the last student trip that I'll ever lead overseas. There are several reasons for this decision: I want to spend more time with Janet; the college simply makes it so hard to run the trips; and I simply can't do it anymore with my declining health. On this last trip I had to ride through the Istanbul airport on the return leg in a wheelchair, an event that I found even more humiliating than it probably was.

It was strange, although I suppose appropriate, that I spent so much time sitting there alone. It's one of my all-time favorite places on earth, perched above Suleyman's Rainbow Camp in the Wadi Rum. I'm sure I'll be back there again someday, inshallah in November, but one never knows. If that was it, well, the Wadi Rum owes me nothing else.



No comments: