Monday, July 15, 2024

What Could Go Wrong?

 I think another climate change event (as I pointed out recently, the "generational" has become the annual) here in Vermont has inspired me to finally post a too-long delayed story from our last Jordan trip. On both Jordan trips from two years ago - November 2022 and March 2023 - we experienced unprecedented weather events. On the November trip we waited out a massive lightning storm, the intensity of which no one could ever remember. In March, as the students were out on a camel ride, we had another huge storm, which eventually turned into a hail storm. Again, none of my friends in Jordan could remember anything like that. Happily, our friend Suleyman didn't like the look of the sky and had sent out a few trucks to pick up the students, which was remarkably well-timed, because once the hail hit the camel drivers had asked the students to get off and walk. As I told them, if nothing else it's an event that they will never forget. Suleyman opened up his private tent for the students to dry out, and I'll post some of those pictures later.

It definitely started out as beautiful day for a ride.

And then hell broke, and suddenly there was a little stream running through the camp - which I had seen only once before, in November.

Looking back towards the center of camp.

Yes, hail. I was stunned.

Water flowing down the rock faces like little waterfalls.



No comments: