Sunday, November 29, 2009

Matisse




OK, every time I got to a major art museum I always discover or rediscover a painter. In this case it is Henri Matisse. Again, it may just be because I'm teaching the Aesthetics course right now, so I'm naturally open to learning about new artists, but for some reason I was reallhy blown away by the works of Matisse on this particular trip. Obviously, the Dance and the Study in Red are very famous works, but several of the other paints attracted me, especially the nude at the bottom, and the study of the woman's face at the top. His paintings are disarmingly simple - which mask a deep complexity, and his choices of color fit completely logically, even when they at first blush seem to be far afield from reality. That's what I love about museums - and about teaching, for that matter - you're always driven to learn new things - and each new discovery leads you down another new path which leads you down another new path - and thus you never grow old or get tired.

















2 comments:

Lynette said...

I swear, I wrote the thing about paths of thought before I read this.
Love that split portrait.

KBL said...

I love the second Matisse piece you have on that post - it's disturbing, yet pleasant. Go figure.