Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Ace of the Staff

The last year or so has been a tough one for my great friend Gary Beatrice.  He started out, well over a quarter century ago, as a friend of a friend, but over the years has become one of my best friends.  He's a better husband and a better father and a better friend that I could ever hope to be, and he richly deserves all the wonderful things that life has to give and none of the bad ones.  In the face of a lot of pain and bad news he and his amazing wife Margie have been unflappable.  Things are looking great at the moment, and we're all thankful for that.  Last night, for I think the second time, he was chosen to throw out the first pitch at a Cincinnati Reds game.  I thought this was the coolest thing ever the first time he did it, and therefore I don't know what to say about a repeat performance.  I've always wanted to throw out the first pitch out a Reds game, but only if I could have my friend Dave Kelley at the plate - so I could dust him for crowding the plate.

Gary Beatrice and Dick Stewart.  Happily, they'll both be eligible for the Hall of Fame in the same year.

Beatrice bringing the heat, and making the fans forget Aroldis Chapman.

Gary being sexually accosted by Rosie the Red.

No comments: