Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Something Like a Change of Season

 Yesterday I mentioned that the weather had broken a tad here, replacing the endless and tortuous days of blazing heat, wilting humidity, and a particular cruel sun with days that are a little more livable. Part of that relates to a few rain showers, which, again, is the first rain that Sicily has seen since early May. When we woke up to rain one morning, Janet and I walked down to La Sirenetta simply to drink coffee and watch it rain. We've also seen the arrival of some clouds, which were a no show for the first month+ of our time here. We may actually survive after all.

Here's a picture I snapped from inside La Sirenetta, just sitting and watching the rain as if I'd never seen it before. When I taught in Abu Dhabi I don't think it rains for a year straight, and the professors would talk about a time when it actually rained and the students ran outside en masse simply to stand in the rain. I felt just about like that the other day.

I took this picture one night on our passegietta along the longomare. It was so creepy. What looks to be buildings or rock formations or giant cacti or robots in the background were clouds. All hell broke loose in the middle of the night in a wild storm.

I don't normally post (or take) pictures of clouds, but their appearance after weeks of cloudless skies is almost disconcerting. 


No comments: