Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Adjo


I'm just about packed. Tomorrow, bright and early, I'm out the door. Goteborg to Frankfurt to Paris to Fez, Morocco. Certainly no chance for difficulty there. I had a great last day in Goteborg. After a blustery start the day gave way to more glorious sunshine. I had two great meetings, first with the Department of Gender Studies and then with the Department of Sociology, so the professional side of the trip was much more successful than I had any reason to expect.


After the second set of meeting ended I stopped at a restaurant called Brasserie Lipp, which is right on the main avenue (Kungsportsavenyen), and had some sort of crayfish, shrimp, mussel and spinach pasta dish. It was wonderful. After that I took advantage of the late day for the art museum (Goteborgs Konstmuseum) and spent a few hours wondering around. Nice collection, featuring a lot of Nordic artists I had never heard of, but which were pretty good. The painting above is from someone more famous, Edward Munch, although I had never seen this particular painting before. It's called Vampyren - OK, so he had issues with women. I also saw a couple paintings from an artist named Julius Paulsen which I really liked, including a painting entitled Modellerne holder hvil which I kept coming back to because there was something about the look on the model's face that I found interesting/sad/unfathomable. I even bought the postcard, but it doesn't do it justice. There was also a really interesting sculpture I kept coming back to, but, of course, I've forgotten the specifics and haven't figured it out on the net yet. Anyway, I'm just about packed and ready for a new adventure. This time tomorrow, inshallah, I'll be at the Riad Pacha in Fez. Adjo!

No comments: