Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Last Day


I'll be taking off in a few minutes for my last full day in Sweden. I have meetings today with the departments of Gender Studies and Sociology, both of which should be wonderful fits for our Global Modules project. I'm hoping to get the opportunity to do some more sight-seeing late in the day, although I also have to get packed to take off early tomorrow for the next leg of the journey. I know the art museum, the Gotesborgs Konstmuseum, is open late on Wednesdays so that is good news. Whenever I visit a new place I inevitably find myself spending hours in the local art museum. It's like when I teach my history classes and my students grumble about how much time we spend studying literature and art - I try and express to them that in the end that is all that matters - it's what really expresses the greatest dreams of humankind. Maybe I spend so much time in art museums to try and discover the national character of each country. It's funny, when I was planning this trip I was fairly excited about visiting Sweden, but it paled in comparison for my enthusiasm for Morocco - and now I find myself pretty depressed over the thought of leaving Sweden.

2 comments:

The Sheck said...

I knew it. I knew it. You are an artiste, a romantic, a aesthete (no not an athlete...an aesthete). Your students are lucky to have the most important things, the things that make up LIFE, brought to their attention.

I have loved seeing Sweden this way. Can't wait for my vicarious journey to Morocco.

Gary Scudder said...

Well, Morocco has been fantastic, although it's Monday and my luggage still hasn't shown up after being lost on Thursday. What has shown up is a particularly nasty lower intestinal condition, probably associated with my tea with the sheikh, which probably will be here long after my luggage shows up.