Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Geopolitics

Not much to report today, mainly because the day is full of meetings - which is great for expanding the Global Modules network, but not so great for sight-seeing (or producing something worth reading on a blog). What strikes me about Sweden is that it's much more multicultural than I thought, which is just a reflection of my own ignorance. I had a great conversation this morning with an Iranian taxi driver about American-Iranian relations - we had just about solved that impasse, but unfortunately we reached out destination and the two countries were left to fend for themselves. He told me that there were something like 100,000 Iranians in Sweden. He's been here for seven years himself, and said he came for reasons of freedom as compared to economic opportunity. Like a lot of Iranian ex-pats he complained about the present regime. He made an interesting point in that he thought that Iranians were actually less religious now than they were before the revolution because the religion was being forced on them now, as compared to it being a choice before. Obviously, just one man's opinion, but potentially an insightful one.

For lunch I fought the urge to go to the mall next to the hotel to McDonald's (I only eat at McDonald's when I'm overseas) and instead went to an Indian place across the street. It was wonderful and left me thinking how many Indians are now living in Sweden.

So far the trip has been wonderful and very productive. My biggest problem has been getting to meetings at various departments at Goteborg University. It has 60,000 students and the various departments are spread all over Goteborg, so it's pretty chaotic. Beyond that my great quest is to find someplace to work out - I hate to miss work-outs. I did manage to get in a swim at the Scandic Hotel Europa pool, but it was the coldest indoor pool I've ever been in - these Swedes are tough. I think I've located a place, but I'll probably only be able to work out once before I leave for Morocco. Over the last several years I've worked out in all sorts of odd places - from memberships in health clubs in India and Jordan to working out in the fitness center in the central park in Madrid. I remember asking a series of Indians where I could work out and they were so amused by the concept, which they viewed as a particularly odd American mania.

1 comment:

Bethie said...

Sounds like a wonderful family--and what an interesting meal they prepared for you! Funny--I have never considered crayfish appealing until we were given a choice between it and fresh lobster in Anguilla in January. A native told me to forget the lobster and go with the crayfish--I unwillingly obliged thinking I was getting a plate of steaming gulf-caught "mudbugs." Surprisingly, it was one of the best meals I have ever had. We watched them being caught (they were giant!)then grilled and they were incredibly tender, mild & sweet and made the lobster taste like wallpaper paste (yes,I have tasted it).
Now that I like them, makes me wonder what Swedish crayfish are like?? Probably very unlike Swedish fish.
Don't they have those "ice" spas there in Sweden where they take you to a hole in the ice and make you jump in?? I'd like to hear about that little excursion!!