Friday, September 21, 2007

Museo del Jamon




OK, so it's 2:30 and you're hungry - what do you do? In Madrid you would think about getting some lunch, although just barely because no one serves lunch before 2:00. On my previous trip to Madrid I had a late afternoon flight out and wanted to grab something before going to the airport. I wandered into a place around 1:00 and asked if I could get some lunch and the waiter gave me a look that I can only qualify as one of pity. I ended up going to Burger King instead because it was the only place serving lunch.



Now if it's actually lunchtime you could go to the Museo del Jamon. Yes, I know what you're thinking, "wait, my Spanish is a little rusty, but isn't that museum of ham?" Yes, you'd be correct. You can order things other than ham there, but they essentially say, "what a fascinating order, but have you considered ham?" (it sounds better in Spanish) You can get a ham sandwich and a Mahou (the national beer of Spain) for 2.3 euros (the olives are a comp), so it's a pretty good deal. You'll have to stand at the counter and the place is packed. This place would be Homer Simpson's alternative to Moe's.

No comments: