Saturday, September 22, 2007

Toledo











On extended trips like this one weekends are a little weird. It's difficult to do any direct Global Modules business, although I send out enough e-mails to give it the old college try. Usually one of the days is a travel day, and, typically, I'll be flying out early tomorrow morning for Vienna. That still leaves one day, and it's often the only time for some actual sight-seeing. Luckily, one of the University of Alcala professors, Carmen Flys Junquera, volunteered to drive me out to Toledo. I was planning on going out anyway, but this saved me the trouble of getting back on the Spanish train system (which wasn't a problem) and also provided me with a great tour guide.







Toledo is a beautiful city with a rich Visigothic, Jewish, Moorish and Christian history. In the Catedral de Toledo is possesses one of Europe's great cathedrals, which was great to see because Madrid does not have a great cathedral. The Catedral de Toledo took around 350 years to construct so you can see a series of architectual styles as you make you way from the back of the church to the front. There's a picture of it on top, although I didn't try to take one inside - flash photographs are forbidden and I've tried to take a lot of pictures over the years in situations like that and they never seem to work out too well. Plus, the cathedral was so incredible I would have had to take a hundred pictures anyway. It wasn't quite Notre Dame, but it's about as close as you can get.







The Monasterio de San Juan de los Reyes was also pretty spectacular. It was ordered constructed by Ferdinand and Isabella (the same Isabella from the Columbus stories). She was a very strong ruler (and put up with Ferdinand's constant womanizing) and there was a definite effort with about every square foot to emphasize her equality with him as a ruler. Remember, when they married the united and created Spain, and she wasn't just along for the ride. There's a picture above of chains on the side of the church. Apparently they were actually taken off Christian prisoners freed from the Moors and they were put on the church as a remembrance. The Monasterio also has a great central courtyard, complete with some great gargoyles.







There's not nearly enough time to talk about all there is to see in Toledo, at least not and still get packed before my flight. The streets are cobblestone and wind around the city at odd angles. Toledo rests on top of a hill and the river curls around the base of the hill on three sides so it was a natural for defense. It sort of reminded me of Fez, although the streets were not as narrow and it was not quite as insane. Unfortunately, the streets are wide enough for cars and, even though this was supposed to be a no car day in Toledo, they did buzz through the narrow streets at an alarmingly fast rate. It's a definite must-see if you're ever in Spain. It's only around an hour outside of Madrid.







OK, time to pack and get ready for the fight to Vienna. Don't know how much I'll be on, especially with pictures, in the next few days. The last time I stayed at the Hotel Wandl I had constant internet issues and could never get it to work with my laptop in my room, so I would spend hours in the lobby on the hotel computer. It's amazing that at one time I didn't want to come to Spain - now I can't wait to come back.

No comments: