Saturday, November 15, 2008

Abu Dhabi and Muscat

It's Saturday night and I'm in Muscat, Oman. It's amazing how quickly this trip is moving along. One week from tonight I will have left Oman, passed back through Dubai, then Paris, then Budapest, then back through Paris, and then JFK and back to Burlington - and that's assuming that everything works as it is scheduled to work. Air France is on strike and beginning tomorrow night I have four flights on Air France - two on Monday (Dubai-Paris; Paris-Budpaest) and two on Saturday (Budapest-Paris; Paris-JFK) - so who knows how it will all play itself out.

After my day of meetings at the Dubai campus of Zayed on Wednesday I caught the shuttle to Abu Dhabi around 3:00. There I met up with Kate O'Neill who teaches at the Abu Dhabi campus of Zayed University - Kate is also from South Burlington. She very graciously volunteered to put me up while I was in town. I had never met her husband Scott, or her three sons - Hobie, Berent and Peyton. I ended up sleeping over at her brother Chris's apartment, which was about a five minute walk. They were all fantastic and I had a great time. Kate felt that I'd never get a moment's peace with her boys so she thought I should stay with Chris. Actually, the boys were great and by the time I left Berent and I were sharing tootsie pops, which has all the hallmarks of a life-long friendship. The meeting at the Abu Dhabi campus of Zayed went very well and, considering the accomplishments of Wednesday's meetings at the Dubai campus, give me a lot of hope for the future.

I made it back to Dubai on Friday night. Kate, Chris and Scott were going to Dubai, and stay in a nice hotel, to see the reformed band Queen as a birthday gift for Chris. So, we said our goodbyes to the boys and took off early afternoon. Before we left we had to feed Kate who, like me, apparently is a blood sugar accident waiting to happen (grin). We went to a nice mall and headed to the food court. Kate went to McDonald's while Chris and I headed to Dairy Queen - where I had a double cheeseburger, chili fries and a chocolate milk shake (hardly what most folks in America would associate with Middle Eastern fare, although these restaurants are very common in some parts of the Middle East - we passed by KFC, Burger King, Chili's and Krispy Kreme). When we made it to Dubai there was a mix-up with the room and Chris, in a demonstration of a great talent he has (hidden under the layers of a very nice guy) pushed the people at the front desk until they received a night's stay at a $2500 a night suite on the top floor. The suite was insanely nice - and I told them that I hoped to live long enough to live in a house as nice as the third bathroom in the suite. My flight out wasn't leaving until 10:20 so they asked me to hang around for a couple hours. As part of their largesse they were invited to a complimentary drink/starter/dessert reception starting at 6:00. We showed up, hunkered down with endless waves of food, and then the band showed up - which is how I found myself next to Brian May in the buffet line. Very odd.

I'll have a lot more to say about Kate and Scott and Chris and the boys - as well as Dubai and Abu Dhabi later. I took my leave around 7:00 and caught a taxi to the airport. My flight on Swiss Air left right on time and by a little after 11:00 I had arrived in Muscat, Oman, which was my first time in the country. After swapping dollars for Rials, which is humbling because it's around $3 to a Rial I queued up to get my visa. It was a long line, but it was very painless. Everyplace I've visited I've either not needed a passport or could just pick it up at the airport, with the exception of India where I had to send it off in advance - another of the advantages of being a US citizen.

Joanna Nel, who teaches online for us at Champlain, met me at the airport. I first met Joanna years ago when she was teaching at our campus in Dubai. I encouraged her to think about teaching online and she contacted Champlain and has been doing so ever since. Then a couple years ago I was chairing a panel at a conference in Amman and asked her to put in a proposal, so I saw her again, and met her husband Francois for the first time, this time in Jordan. So now she was nice enough to ask me to stay at their place in Muscat while I was in town. They are originally from near Cape Town in South Africa. In fact, Francois and I watched the South African national team, the Springboks, play tonight on cable - he was very pleased when I disappeared into the back to change into the Springboks t-shirt that I had picked up in Pretoria a couple months back.

I have a day's worth of meetings tomorrow at Sultan Qaboos University but today was wide open. So, Joanna played tour guide and we went downtown to old Muscat. It was a great day, but more on that later.

No comments: