Saturday, November 1, 2008

Al Akhawayn University

I'm currently at Ifrane, Morocco, visiting Al Akhawayn University. I've said a lot about the university in the past, so I won't go on and on about it this time. It's been a very lovely and productive stay so far. The folks here are very supportive of Champlain and our Global Modules project, and also remarkably friendly folks. It's bitterly cold - rainy and blustery - and one of the professors, my good friend Bouziane, even dropped off a sweater for me yesterday with the instructions that I should keep it and then just drop it off at the front gate to the university with the guards when I leave at 3:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning (on my way to my 6:00 a.m. flight out of Fez). I'm staying at an apartment in one of the faculty housing units, which is very nice - and has cable TV - so I can keep up with the U.S. election through the BBC. I don't get CNN, which is OK because the British coverage is so far superior that it is a laughable comparison anyway. The students are having a big Halloween party this weekend, which may seem a little odd, but the Moroccans have a very tangible European sensibility about things, especially here in Ifrane, and the school also has a fair number of European students here on exchange (I'd love for some Champlain students to come here as well).

Like I said, the university is very supportive of our attempts to create international educational links. We are looking at embedding GMs in the first year courses in Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology and Geography, and in the second year courses in History, Literature and Philosophy - in addition to other selective courses across the curriculum. This is exactly the type of foundation that we need to take the GMs to the next level - I couldn't be happier. We've also begun discussions about grant opportunities, similar to the one we just submitted with Kenyatta University, the University of Pretoria and North Carolina A&T University.

No comments: