Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sunny Budapest?

OK, I'm packed, paid up, and ready to go - and it is a brilliantly sunny day in Budapest. Ever since I arrived late Monday night it has been appropriately gloomy and rainy, but today, by way of saying goodbye, Budapest is providing me with a sunny send-off. I have a 12:30 pm flight from Budapest to Paris. As always, I am already nervous about the mad dash through Charles de Gaulle Airport, although I think I have enough time so it won't be too terrible (insert foreboding music here). The flight across the Atlanta is on Air France which makes me happy. Then a short layover and the flight home to chilly Burlington.

I really like Budapest quite a bit, and wish I could get out to see more of the cointryside. They are definitely struggling with the transition from the old communist days to a market economy and entry into the EU (and who knows when they will ever switch to the euro). While waiting for the train yesterday I walked next door to a mall - and the clash between the posh West End Mall and the wonderfully seedy Nyugati train station tells you everything you need to know about this clumsy time in Hungarian history.

If you ever pass through Budapest be sure to visit the Cafe Alibi. If you are at the great indoor market (fresh food malls on the ground level, souvenirs on the top) next to Corvinus University, just walk down Vaci Utca (the main pedestrian shopping area in Budapest, it runs on forever). Take a right at the second street, Szerb Utca. You will pass a church on your left and then the Loch Ness Pub on your right, before hitting the Cafe Alibi on your right. The staff speak impeccable English, the food is great (I had the garlic spinich chicken one day and then the creamy leek chicken the next - both great - and good cafe lattes), and great free wifi.

Loved my visit here again, and can't wait to come back. I'm supposed to be speaking at a conference in Slovakia in June and I think I'll have to make a return visit to Budapest.

No comments: