Friday, November 27, 2009

The Hermitage - an Abundance of Riches




















































































Or maybe it's an embarrassment of riches. I've uploaded a lot of pictures, in no particular order in regards to which ones are my favorite (I've have more to say about that later). Here I just wanted to give a sense of the amazing number of classics that are housed here at the Hermitage. I've developed a serious love of Spanish painting, which would definitely lead me to include this haunting representation of Mary Magdaline from Titian at the top - along with a typically riveting work by El Greco the third painting down. The second painting is from da Vinci, although the light coming in from the window - competing with the lights from the ceiling - didn't allow me to do it justice. The fourth painting is Caravaggio's Boy Playing a Lute, which really jumped out at me because Gombrich, in the book I'm using this semester for my Aesthetics class, makes a very big deal out of the painting - and I do like Caravaggio a lot. It's funny how you'll be using a picture in class and then when you actually see it hanging in a gallery it really hits you in an odd way. In a largely unsuccessful attempt to fight the lights and the glass plate covering it, I focused in pretty dramatically on Perseus, Andromeda and the image of Medusa on the shield in this painting by Rubens. There are lots of Rubens here at the Hermitage - and it got me thinking about the number of museums I've visited that also featured quite a lot of Rubens. I don't know how many pictures he painted, but it must have been an extraordinary amount because he's represented all over the place. Rembrandt is also well-represented at the Hermitage, and it was difficult to choose only one - however, I liked how Rembrandt put the holy family in a very domestic setting in this painting, which somehow brought about a greater divinity. There are quite a few Cezannes in the museum as well, and even though the paintings covered a number of topics, I always come back to his representation of fruit, especially pairs (although I feel like I'm just channelling Woody Allen in Manhattan). A typical exotic subject matter from Delacrois, but still an arresting image - I guess I just, probably romantically, imagine the rider heading into danger or into the wilderness. There were several Monets at the Hermitage, but I ended up liking the one that was in some ways the least Monet-like. There's just something about his representation of the woman in the white dress in the garden which moved me. There were several van Goghs as well, although I didn't find some of them (including some Gauguins) until late in the day in an entirely different section of the museum - and it was in an area marked no photography, which normally would have never stopped me, but I was also out of juice in the camera. I ended up choosing this particular painting from van Gogh, although, again by van Gogh standards, it was pretty "controlled." There were a number of Rodans, all of them good, so it was difficult to settle on this one. I liked this representation of Bacchus by Chagall. And, finally, I really like Renoir's Girl With a Fan - she's beautiful, certainly, but there's also a simple complexity - or complex simplicity (if that makes any sense) in her facila expression. I kept coming back to this painting. I could fill up this space with many more paintings - and have some more posts designed for Gauguin, etc. - but enough for now. I'm going to go outside and watch the drawbridges rise up!







1 comment:

Lynette said...

Whoa, g. These are so amazing. The sheer scope of the building is breathtaking. You were so lucky to see these works in person. Rembrandt rules. Thanks for posting.