Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Kremlin





























As I stated earlier, one of my real regrets from my time in Moscow is that I didn't get the chance to see more of the amazing city - however, to be fair, my job on these trips is a professional one and not a personal one - and, professionally, it was immensely successful. I'd love to make it back to the Kremlin again - Katya and I arrived very late on a Sunday afternoon and even though we packed something into every moment we could, there just wasn't a lot we could see. Plus, again for some mysterious reason, the Red Square itself was closed off both on Sunday night and still on Monday morning when Karina drove me downtown again. There must be some cosmic attempt to keep me from rediscovering my love of Russian history, which I can remember being fascinated by when I took a Russian history class with Dr. James McKnight back in college. It was sort of humbling to be walking around a place with so much history, which is much like I felt tonight when I was walking the streets of St. Petersburg - but more on that later. I posted some pictures of the walls of the Kremlin and a very distant view of St. Basil's Cathedral - again, the Red Square was blocked off. I've included a couple pictures of some other cathedrals inside the walls of the Kremlin - we went in several ones, but, sadly, although logically, you couldn't take pictures inside. There's also a couple pictures of a massive cannon and the world's largest bell, which was actually damaged as it was cooling and never struck. Can't wait to get back to Moscow.

No comments: