Sunday, November 29, 2009

Woman in a Black Hat


Here's another artist and painting that, unfortunately, I was unfamiliar with. It's too bad the picture turned out so poorly - the reflected ceiling lights, which showed up in way too many of my pictures, made for a lovely mood but played havoc when taking pictures of paintings with a glass frame. This is Woman in a Black Hat by Kees van Dongen from 1908. Again, why do I like it? Why do I ask so many questions - isn't it possible just to like it? Yes, certainly, and I do like it on a "surface" level - that is, I just find it pleasing and I do find her beautiful. However, I also find her very mysterious - and this seems to be a common theme in what draws me to certain paintings - and I'm sure there is some real psychological insight that we can draw from that observation. In this case I really like how the artist used the subject's eyes, which, because they are so dark - and I would think slightly enlarged - completely draws you into her world. Is she waiting for someone? Does she hope that no one ever shows up to bother her again? Is she bored? Ennui? What is she thinking?

1 comment:

Lynette said...

Surely, she hopes someone will show up.