Sunday, May 6, 2012

Different Views

I haven't posted anything about Jordan in a while, which is strange because it's just about my favorite place on the planet. Here's an odd picture I snapped after climbing up on the narrow edge at the top of a wall (doing my best not to fall off) to get a closer look at the elephant carved into the column of a temple in Petra. In the distance you can see people heading towards the restaurant at the end of the valley. At least some of them will then begin the long climb up to see the Monastery. It's humbling to think of how many generations of visitors that elephant has watched parade in front of him. Maybe that's all we need to do to get out of a funk - just take a different look at things, especially if it means challenging ourselves to do so. Sometimes I think that my biggest problem with living in the UAE is that it's just too easy, and that my brain will atrophy if I stay. Or maybe I'm just happy and I'm too stupid to realize it. Life doesn't have to be sturm und drang, does it?

No comments: