Monday, May 14, 2012

Kettlehell


One of the best ways to meet people and get a sense of the lay of the land in a foreign country is to join a local gym or at least take some classes.  Although, in the UAE, so far it has just meant that I've met more ex-pats.  After reading about this tortuous month long exercise called Primal Training offered by Haddins Gym at the Zayed Sports City, I decided to check out the facility.  The Sports City itself is huge and features all sorts of facilities, including an ice hockey rink and a bowling alley.  The gym is nice, although I don't know if I'm ready to sign up for the Primal Training (which is an hour every morning at 6:30 for four weeks - it cost 1000 dirhams, but if you attend all the sessions it ends up being free).  The pro side is that I could use a change in my workout routine - the con side is that I'm a 52 year old man with a bad hip.  That said, I did decide to take advantage of some of their classes.  Last week for the first time I showed up for the hour-long kettlebell session, which thoroughly and definitively kicked my butt.  For around three days afterwards I was walking around so awkwardly and painfully that people I don't even know at the university were stopping to ask me if I wanted them to call someone.  Nevertheless, I returned yesterday for another session, and am not quite as miserable today.  Essentially, the kettlebell sessions are all sorts of ways to lift or throw around different weights of kettlebells.  It's definitely a good workout.  Now, on Wednesday - boxing training.  And that certainly has disaster written all over it.  Still, the folks at the gym are really nice (even as they are torturing me) and it is a great workout.  The kettlebells don't look that evil, and the entrance to the gym is the same one that you use to reach the male prayer room, but it is a wicked workout.

No comments: