Saturday, May 26, 2012

Zanzibar Slave Monument

I'll have more to say about my visit to the remains of the old Zanzibar slave market later on.  In the meantime I just wanted to post a couple pictures that I took of the slave monument outside the remaining holding cells.  It's very simple, but it's one of the most moving monuments I've ever seen.  At the time, I was really saddened by the fact that there was actually some trash inside the monument itself.  Because it's located on the grounds of a church, and because of the sombre nature of the subject, the monument itself almost felt sacred and thus the trash defiled it.  Thinking back on it, however, maybe the trash was more appropriate.  A spotless, glossy monument would have "sanitized" the slave trade, and Zanzibar's role in it, and that might have been a greater defilement.


No comments: