Monday, May 21, 2012

Impeccable Sense of Direction

Now, as anyone who has traveled with me can testify, I have a faulty if not outright laughable sense of direction.  Normally, if I say right, then your best bet is left - and a sharp left at that.  So you can imagine the challenge that a place like the old city of San'a would provide.  Again, that is one of the reasons why I had chosen the Burj Al Salam Hotel in the first place, figuring that since it was the tallest building in the old city I would be able to spot it.  Of course, there are so many tall buildings that close in around you that my plan went out the window in a hurry.  At one point I spotted a very distinctive door and knew with complete certainty that a simple right turn would lead me back to my hotel.  The rest was utterly predictable.


"Ah, yes, I know where I am now. A quick right turn and I am on my way."
"Doh!"


No comments: