Monday, July 24, 2017

My Years With Proust - Day 513

   Moreover, it was not only the sea at the close of day that existed for me in Albertine, but at times the drowsy murmur of the sea upon the shore on moonlit nights.  For sometimes, when I got up to fetch a book from my father's study, my mistress, having asked my permission to lie down while I was out of the room, was so tired after her long outing in the morning and afternoon in the open air that, even if I had been away for a moment only, when I returned I found her asleep and did not wake her.  Stretched out at full length on my bed, in an  attitude so natural that no art could have devised it, she reminded me of a long blossoming stem that had been laid there; and so in a sense she was: the faculty of dreaming, which I possessed only in her absence, I recovered at such moments in her presence, as though by falling asleep she had become a plant.  In this way, her sleep realised to a certain extent the possibility of love: alone, I could think of her, but I missed her, I did not possess her; when she was present, I spoke to her, but was too absent from myself to be able to think of her; when she was asleep, I no longer had to talk, I knew that I was no longer observed by her, I no longer needed to live on the surface of myself.
   By shutting her eyes, by losing consciousness, Albertine had stripped off, one after another, the different human personalities with which she had deceived me ever since the day when I had first made her acquaintance.  She was animated now only by the unconscious life of plants. of trees, a life more different from my own, more alien, and yet one that belonged more to me.  Her personality was no constantly escaping, as when we talked, by the outlets of her unacknowledged thoughts and of her eyes. She had called back into herself everything of her that lay outside, had withdrawn, enclosed, reabsorbed herself into her body.  In keeping it in front of my eyes, in hands, I had an impression of possessing her entirely which I never had when she was awake.  Her life was submitted to me, exhaled towards me its gentle breath.
   I listened to this murmuring, mysterious emanation, soft as a sea breeze, magical as a gleam of moonlight, that was her sleep.  So long as it lasted, I was free to dream about her and yet at the same time to look at her, and, when that sleep grew deeper, to touch, to kiss her.  What I felt then as a love as pure, as immaterial, as mysterious, as if I had been in the presence of those inanimate creatures which are the beauties of nature.  And indeed, as soon as her sleep became at all deep, she ceased to be merely the plant that she had been; her sleep, on the margin of which I remained musing, with a fresh delight of which I never tired, which I could have gone on enjoying indefinitely, was to me a whole landscape.  Her sleep brought within my reach something as serene, as sensually delicious as those nights of full moon on the bay of Balbec, calm as a lake over which the branches barely stir, where, stretched out upon the sand, one could listen for hours on end to the surf breaking and receding.
   On entering the room, I would remain standing in the doorway, not venturing to make a sound, and hearing none but that of her breath rising to expire upon her lips at regular intervals, like the reflux of the sea, but drowsier and softer.  And at the moment when my ear absorbed that divine sound, I felt that there was condensed in it the whole person, the whole life of the charming captive outstretched before my eyes. . . .
   I spend many a charming evening talking and playing with Albertine, but none so delicious as when I was watching her sleep. . .
Marcel Proust, The Captive, pp. 63-65

I suppose every one of us has at one time or another been so much in love that we would stay awake solely to watch our lover sleep.  When I was with the LBG we both eventually had to admit that we were both guilty of doing it (including, of course, the classic early romance standard of whispering in their ear that you love them - it must have taken, we almost got married).  In the section above Proust devotes a goodly amount of time, although not by Proustian standards, discussing watching Albertine sleep.  "In this way, her sleep realised to a certain extent the possibility of love: alone, I could think of her, but I missed her, I did not possess her; when she was present, I spoke to her, but was too absent from myself to be able to think of her; when she was asleep, I no longer had to talk, I knew that I was no longer observed by her, I no longer needed to live on the surface of myself."  Like all lovers Proust feels very closed to his beloved at that moment, although more because he feels that she's not lying to him.  Once again, we see the passivity of Albertine, as she asks for his permission to stretch out on his bed, and, for that matter, even his description of her refers to her as a plant.  However, he is also referring to his beauty: "What I felt then as a love as pure, as immaterial, as mysterious, as if I had been in the presence of those inanimate creatures which are the beauties of nature."  I guess I would argue that Proust, and, well, hell, all of us probably, watch our sleeping lovers because we at that time able to be both close to them but also continue to create in our minds an imaginary personality for them.


No comments: