Thursday, July 6, 2017

The Neelankavils

Yesterday I drove down to Jersey City, New Jersey which was a long drive to make there and back on way day, but a drive that gave me such incredible joy.  My old friend (and I guess I have known him for fifteen years) John Neelankavil and his wife Volga and son Jeff were visiting from India.  As is documented in this blog I've spent a lot of time with John at the campus Champlain used to have (and foolishly doesn't anymore) in Mumbai but also at his house.  I was afraid I was going to miss them as they were in Cleveland at exactly the same time I was in Cincinnati, and if I had driven and followed more normal route I would have gone through Cleveland so seeing them would have been the easiest thing in the world.  However, for once I was flying, so my only chance was to make a mad dash down to Jersey City to see them before they flew out today.  They are just about the kindest souls one can possibly imagine, and we're already looking forward to getting caught up on my next trip to India.

We met for lunch at a Portuguese place that Jeff had ferreted out online.  As we were leaving I ended up worried about getting back to where I had parked my car before the inevitable towing that I forgot to get a picture (which, if you know me, is very rare) so Jeff sent along a selfie.

No comments: