Monday, June 10, 2019

Amman Street Scenes

I was just posting on the parents' secret Facebook page (I always set one up for the parents on every student trip) that one of the many things wonderful about the upcoming trip to Jordan is that it gives the students a more complete view of the Middle East. That is, that Jordan is far more than the Wadi Rum or Petra, and that while we may be visiting the Citadel and the Roman amphitheater in Amman, the capital city is also a vibrant, gritty modern city. So, with that in mind, I thought I'd post a few pictures that I snapped on last year's trip that somehow never made their way onto a previous post.

This is some great graffiti, featuring the amphitheater, a crowded modern city, and a mosque and church happily co-existing.

Sadly, this place was closed. We passed it as we were walking up towards Rainbow Street, the trendy part of town.

Amman, famously, is constructed on a number of hills, which means that you have to be prepared for some climbing if you're truly going to explore the city.

I think if I lived in Amman I'd want to live on Omar al-Khayyam Street, not simply because it was a nice street but also, seriously, what a great mailing address.

We did actually grab lunch in this restaurant, which was first rate.

Amman is an Arabic city, but there's always a reminder of the European connection.

Some more great graffiti, and, no, the city never feels empty, although for a traditionalist it might feel heartless.


No comments: