Friday, June 28, 2019

Tailenders

As I've often opined, overseas trips are planned around historical or cultural masterpieces but defined by small, unplanned moments. A classic example of this theory occurred during March's trip to India when we decided to play cricket. While we were still in New Delhi during the first couple days of the trip we were killing time outside a shop while some of the students were hunting for souvenirs. The rest of us were watching a pickup cricket match. Santosh and I quickly decided that we needed to set up a cricket match when we reached Dudhwa for our (ill-fated) tiger hunt. Being efficient and a good soul Santosh quickly arranged it. To be fair, Santosh is more than a bit of a cricket fanatic so this was clearly not a dispassionate decision on his part. I've played cricket three or four times in my entire life, not surprisingly every time in India (including pickup games behind the school when I taught in India; the kids would let me bat, but then quickly stop me because I was embarrassing their national sport). As it turns out the kids loved cricket and ended up playing it two different times. I also took a couple at-bats, but happily none of the students captured it. Hopefully the students remember the cricket adventure as fondly as I know I will.

Santosh, on the far right, watching while the students are instructed on the basic rules of cricket.

Alex, armed with a bat bigger than her, was ready for action.

Hattie, well, Hattie was enthusiastic.

Charlie striking a heroic post. He turned out to be a dead pull hitter and the ball ended up in the plowed field quite a bit.

Shelsea, an intense competitor, put on her game face while she bowled.

Sally, looking slightly suspicious about cricket, was nevertheless her usual happy self.

John was, as the kids say, raking.

This should be the picture that appears on Harry's cricket baseball card (until you see that the ball is behind him).

No comments: