Thursday, June 27, 2019

John Goes Exploring

I know I've talked several times about my student (now graduated) John Van Egas. It's hard to believe that it was four years ago that he showed up in my COR 110 Concepts of Community class, which was the first class he ever took at Champlain. For about a week I thought he was the most annoying student I had ever had, and then I just fell in love with him. John is genuinely excited in class every day, and is truly appreciative for the opportunity. By the time he strolled across the stage he had taken me five times and went to India with me twice. Even considering that fact he still caught me off-guard when he texted me the other day with this picture. He was driving to Colorado and decided to visit the hometown of his "hero" (his word, not mine). I was quite taken back by it, and it reminds me why we do what we do. What a great young man. If everyone loved learning as much as John does this would be the easiest and most rewarding job in the world.

I think it was Henry Adams who said (I'm paraphrasing): "A teacher affects eternity. He can never tell where his influence stops."


No comments: