Sunday, February 16, 2020

What It Means - Day 335

"Say, 'Shall I inform you who are the greatest losers in respect to their deeds? Those whose effects go astray in the life of this world, while they reckon that they are virtuous in their works.'"
Quran 18:103-104

Amazingly we're down to only a month left in this year-long discussion of faith. I'm sure that no one who reads this blog religiously (yes, obviously, pun intended; and there are actually a goodly number of you who show up every day) has learned anything beyond the fact that I'm immensely self-absorbed, but I'm happy to say that I think that at least I've learned a lot. Does this mean that I'm a better person? I've had people ask me this question, and I usually tell them that I think my faith has given me the tools - and the desire - to be a better person. Anything beyond that is fraught with danger. When you begin to read and believe your own press clippings, especially in regards to your own goodness, you're on the very road to perdition. That said, I am trying to be a better person - which always forms the core of every prayer - and that the faith has given me that.


No comments: