Friday, February 28, 2020

What It Means - Day 347

"But if they strive to make thee ascribe as a partner unto Me that of which thou hast no knowledge, then obey them not. Consort with them in the world in a kindly manner, and follow the way of those who turn in repentance unto Me. Then unto Me is your return, and I shall inform you of that which you used to do."
Quran 31:15

Buildings upon yesterday's passage from surah 31, Luqman's advice to his son, we are reminded that even your devotion to your parents has limits. In the end there is a bigger loyalty that we owe. I guess I was lucky, oddly, that I never found myself in a clash with my parents over differing interpretations of religion, both because they were not that interested (they both had own bad experience with growing up Southern Baptist and it turned them off religion for ever, although my mother had a more simple, yet hard to pin down, faith in God) and I certainly not shown any interest then. I've said before that I think one of the greatest gifts my father gave me was to raise me to, in the end, not give a shit what he thought about things. I tried explain this to my mom one time, which she was sort of horrified by, but when I talked my dad about it he completely understood.




No comments: