Friday, September 22, 2023

Chapel of Bones

 I mentioned that when hadn't been in Evora very long before Janet began looking for property online. It's definitely a beautiful town - as I described, oddly both medieval and also hip - but I think what pushed JP over the edge was our walk through the Chapel of Bones. You would think that a room constructed out of human bones would be creepy - and I think Janet thought it would be before she walked in - but it actually ends up feeling exactly the opposite way. I suppose that it should feel like the Catacombs in Paris, but it doesn't at all, which may be because it's above ground and airy - and because it's attached to a beautiful cathedral - or maybe because the bones were volunteered and not simply moved out of perceived necessity. No matter the answer, visiting it actually felt completely life-affirming. And apparently we'll be visiting it a lot when we live in Evora.






No comments: