Saturday, September 16, 2023

Lamb Loin

 OK, as promised, the top five meal that we had at the converted convent in Evora, the Convento do Espinheiro. It was such a quintessential European meal: a smaller portion and heavy on quality as compared to quantity (I'm talking to you, America). It was lamb loin, which I had never had. Oh my good God.  It also featured migas, a very traditional southern Portuguese staple (you can find it in Spain as well). I tend to think of migas as something like goetta, that is, a way, initially, for poor folks to stretch the food. Migas is often made with stale bread, which is then jazzed up with garlic and olive oil - and then often pork meat drippings or asparagus or tomato or coriander.  We had first had migas at our first meal after visiting the Chapel of Bones (when Janet started looking for property), and that's when we learned that it was a staple in the region. The chef threw a fried egg on top because, well, just because. Truthfully, as you might expect, the migas can be a bit bland, but in this case the au jus was extraordinary.


This was my order on our official anniversary meal, although I think it will now be my official go-to meal every time we stay at the Convent. 


No comments: